𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

|| 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁 𝗈𝖿 𝖤𝗅𝗂𝗌𝖺 𝖫𝖺𝗆 || 𝖯𝖠𝖱𝖳 1

THE CASE:

 On January 26, 2013, Elisa Lam, a Canadian student, arrived in Los Angeles as part of a solo trip her parents let her go on, on the condition that she would call them everyday. She checked into the Cecil Hotel, two days later, an action that would perhaps be the reason for her demise. On 31st Jan., the day Lam was supposed to check out and head to Santa Cruz, her parents did not hear from her and began to grow suspicious. LAPD were informed, but they found no signs of her in the hotel. 
Outside the hotel, Katie Orphan, manager of a nearby bookstore ironically named, ''The Last Bookstore'', was the only person who recalled seeing Lam that day. ''It seemed like Lam had plans to return home, plans to give things to her family members and reconnect with them.'' Orphan said CBC LA.

She had been missing for two whole weeks until LAPD decided to release a video of the last known sighting of her, taken in one of Cecil's elevator by a surveillance camera, on February 1st. The video went viral almost instantly because of Lam's strange behavior seen in it and raised a lot more questions about her disappearance.

On 19th of February, two weeks after the video was published by authorities, maintenance worker Santiago Lopez found Elisa Lam's dead body, floating in one of the hotel water tanks. Lopez made the discovery after responding to complaints from hotel patrons about low water pressure. Some later claimed their water was colored black, and had an unusual taste. Lam's body was found naked with the same clothes she was seen wearing in the elevator footage, floating beside her. There was no evidence of physical trauma, sexual assault, or suicide. 

The investigation had determined how Lam died, but did not offer an explanation as to how she got into the tank in the first place. Doors and stairs that access the hotel's roof are locked, with only staff having the keys, and any attempt to force them would supposedly have triggered an alarm. Further, questions arose on how Lam managed to get into the tank without a ladder and also close its heavy lid after jumping into the water, all by herself. 

THEORIES: 

murder: People claim that the elevator video shows Lam trying to run away or hide from someone who could have possibly caused her death. Since the hotel staff were the only ones with access to the roof, it is widely believed that Lam was murdered by someone working for the hotel. It explains why we cannot see who Lam is talking to in the elevator footage as the hotel staff would know where the cameras are set and can skillfully avoid them. However, this theory is refuted by the fact that there have been no signs of trauma or struggle in the autopsy report. Further, there's no known reason why a hotel staff would kill her. 

 ☠ mental disorder: Lam was very vocal about being diagnosed with depression and bipolar disorder. On her arrival to the Cecil Hotel, Lam was originally booked in a hostel-style shared room with others, however, complaints of ''odd behavior'' from her roommates forced Lam to be moved to a private room by herself. Theorists explain Lam's odd behavior in the elevator footage as a result of a manic episode. Since she was on medication, it is important to note that the use of antidepressants to treat bipolar disorder may include manic side effects.                                           
 While this is perhaps, the most plausible explanation, it does not answer the question how Elisa managed to access the roof and close the heavy tank lid after jumping into the water.