Kit's dad had a peculiar way of talking. It wasn't fast or even too slow. It was a sort of drawl with thoughtful pauses at the ends of each sentence. I never knew when he was done.

"Maybe," I replied absently as I looked around the kitchen. It was bright and cheerful, and Kit was out of place, his face blank and staring. He was looking at me curiously from the cupboards and I jerked my head in the tiniest of fashions to hint at him to get me the fuck out of there.

His dad had been talking about the university he had attended when Kit cut across. "How about I give you a tour Ming?" he said, uncharacteristically chipper.

"Wonderful idea! Supper won't be ready for another hour, I'll call you two." his mother hummed happily. She was stirring something in a large pot on the stove and then she slipped on some oven mitts and began whistling. His dad looked a little disappointed, but grabbed the newspaper off the counter and unfolded it.

Kit led the way out of the kitchen and up a flight of stairs to where there was a small landing and a few closed doors. I didn't bother to wait until we were safely out of earshot before blowing up.

"Are you fucking cult child or something? What's the deal?" I hissed.

Kit continued walking, opening a door at the end of the landing with a plaque on it that said Madden's Room. "No. They might be a little overbearing..."

"A little? They give me the creeps." Here I shuddered as I thought about their penetrating stares and enthusiastic smiles. The odd way they had known who I was. "They act as if they know me."

He had opened the door to what looked like his room and once I was in, he closed it. "That might be my fault. I tell them everything."

I had just rested my eyes on the drum kit in the corner before I registered what Kit was saying. "What do you mean, everything?" I asked slowly, turning to face him as he leaned against the closed door and folded his arms. He bit his lip and shifted his gaze to his window and a horrifying bolt of understanding rocked my body. "They know about us?"

He simply nodded, still averting his gaze, and I crashed onto his bed holding my head in my hands. "What the fuck, Kit! Why would you tell them that?"

"I tell them everything," he repeated with a shrug as he took a seat next to me.

I groaned as I replayed everything in my mind, the enthusiastic greeting, the questions, the criticism. It all made sense. It was an official Meet The Parents situation, and I was the potential match for their perfect son. It was messed up. "I'm leaving."

"Come on, they like you," Kit said, with obvious hopes of being encouraging.

I lifted my head from my hands long enough to narrow my eyes at him. "Are you kidding me? I don't care if they fucking love me. This is weird. They probably think we're up here making out or something."

Kit looked thoughtful. "Probably." Then he paused, stood up, and strode across the room. Swinging the door open, it revealed the form of his mother. She stumbled back quickly as if she'd been caught in the act of eavesdropping.

"I brought up some snacks," she recovered easily, striding into the room and placing a tray of weird-looking brown balls into Kit's side table. My jaw clenched together and I could feel my face burning. Fucking crazy bullshit.

"Thanks," Kit said, and he pulled his face into a smile and waited for her to leave. When we heard her footsteps all the way down the stairs he finally shut the door and looked over at me apologetically.

"See, that's not normal," I said, pointing an accusing finger to the door and indicating what just happened.

"She's just curious," he said easily.