Chapter 22: Midnight Lullabies

"What?" The word ripped out of Ahsoka like a snarl. Her piercing eyes focused solely on the man behind the desk.

Kakashi glanced at her warily, sweat dropping along side the slight panic in his eye, "Ahsoka...Calm down."

She ignored him, not giving him the reassurance to the possibility of her anger subsiding as she glared at the newly reappointed Hokage. Hiruzen looked straight at her, not wavering, if anything...he looked saddened.

"I'm sorry, Ahsoka... but it's the way it has to be," He said, "You both must understand the situation...Naruto can't have any form contact with either of you."

He kept his voice steady, ignoring the everlasting molten gold glare, "It would be suspicious for the students of the Yellow Flash to be seemingly involved in the life of a child that looks suspiciously like him conveniently after his passing. Minato's enemies would not take long in taking him out."

Ahsoka's eyes flared, "We can protect him! Neither of us are weak. We can take out any threat that comes at Naruto!"

"Yes, both of you are incredible talents..." Hiruzen leaned forward, "...But so are many of Minato's enemies...I will not take that chance."

"Then leave him to us!" She threw her hand to the side. Despite the bite in her words they came out calm, as if she didn't need to shout to convey her anger, "We can take care of him. There is no need for us to be worried of someone striking if one of us is always with him," Her head whipped to her right, eyes locking on Kakashi, "Right?"

Kakashi was not one to form bonds easily, he was never one to care too much either...but this- "I'll do anything to ensure Naruto's safety," He said, "I owe it to Minato sensei."

Ahsoka turned back to the Hokage, a hint of desperation in her eyes, but the man only shook his head, "You are both much too young. Not to mention, you will be too busy with your Anbu duties to even be there for the child. And..."

His gaze sharpened, "...Konoha's Fiery Ember and Kakashi of the Sharingan are not without enemies themselves."

Ahsoka stared at the man, mouth agape as the sudden wave of cold defeat crashed down on her anger, after all, there was no point in being angry. It wasn't going to change his mind. Her eyes took on a heart wrenching look as the reality truly sunk in because...he was right.

They would put Naruto at risk if they were a part of his life. And as much as she hated to admit it...the two together might not be enough to protect him.

Kakashi's own face was taut, but his eye was wistful, as if he were holding all of those bottled feeling behind that one dark orb. Feelings he didn't think he'd feel so strongly...but he did, and it ate him up inside.

Hiruzen himself felt his heart ache at the looks directed at him.

"I know you feel like you have to be there to protect him," He began gently, the sincerity of his words displayed in his tired eyes as he looked upon the two, "but this is what's best for Naruto...I truly am sorry."

Words stalled. Ahsoka didn't want to think about it- about the fact that she wouldn't be able to do anything for the child of two people that had been like family- it was frustrating. Frustrating and hurting her beyond belief.

This...it was condemning them to cut all ties with what was left of their sensei and Kushina. It was to disregard that something so precious to the people that had been precious to them...even existed.

And it hurt.

Heavy silence filled the room until Ahsoka looked up, her eyes pleading long before she said the words as she met the Hokage's gaze.