Chapter 14: Bonds Worth Keeping

This chapter will have mentions of the episode 282 flashbacks but things will be slightly changed to make more sense with this story. I'm also not sorry for the cliffhangers :)

The bright lights of the Konoha Hospital hallways were doing nothing to calm Ahsoka's nerves as she stood fidgeting, unable to sit down. A couple of burn marks covered her pale cheeks. Obito was in a similar position having paced in front of the operating room at least a hundred times by now. Kakashi seemed a bit calmer than the other two though perhaps it was because he was better at hiding it. All of them looking worse for wear.

Obito suddenly punched the air in frustration, "ARGHH! Where is Minato-sensei! Shouldn't he be here by now?!"

Ahsoka winced at the volume and anger in Obito's voice, "H-He should. Kaisoku is the fastest in my summoning pack. Something must have happened to hold them back..." Obito gritted his teeth as he let out another frustrated sound and with a swoosh of his white cloak he started pacing around again.

Ahsoka's eyebrows furrowed as her eyes shifted down to the floor. The fidgeting of her hands never stopping while she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. To anyone else it would seem she was just uncomfortable, only those who really knew her would know the immense guilt and conflict she felt but would not show outwardly.

Ahsoka's eyes stinged with tears that she refused to let fall, 'If only....If only I had been paying more attention.' Her fidgeting hands turned into clenched fists beneath her cloak.

Two hours ago

The world seemed to slow as the Obito, Kakashi and Ahsoka turned their heads at the sound of Rin's scream just in time to see a burnt Kumogakure shinobi with a wild look in his eyes bring down his kunai on the young girl.

"RIIIIIN!!!" The chorus of voices screamed.

Blood splattered through the air as the kunai made contact just between Rin's rib and was dragged down her abdomen. Rin let out a bloodied cough as her eyes closed. Her body going limp as she started to free fall down to the ground.

"NOOO!!" Obito cried out as he dove down. Kakashi and Ahsoka watched with panicked looks as  Rin's unmoving body continued to fall down, getting closer and closer to the ground while Obito ran down a tree.

The Uchiha's teeth gritted as he sped down the trunk, never taking his eyes off Rin the whole way. Heavy sweat was running down his face. With one leap he threw himself off the tree, his outstretched hands catching Rin's slack body in his arms. Taking advantage of the momentum carrying them, Obito pulled out a kunai as they approached a tree and embedded it into the bark. The boy gritted his teeth and grunted as the kunai slid down the bark, slowing their descent down to the forest floor.

Reaching the ground, Obito let go of the kunai. His worried eyes immediately turned to the girl in his arms, "Rin..." Blood stained her white cloak and under clothes. Her pale purple marked cheeks starked in contrast to bright blood running down from her mouth.

"Obito!" Ahsoka's voice echoed from high above the tree branches. Her wide eyes stared down at her two friends in fear.

Obito's head snapped up to the branches as he held back tears, "Ahsoka! Kakashi! She needs help! NOW!" A sudden groan coming from a couple of branches away made Kakashi and Ahsoka snap their heads in it's direction.

"You brats...are so annoying." The Kumogakure shinobi breathed heavily as he glared at Kakashi and Ahsoka intensely with a hand grasping his burned side. His other hand firmly holding the kunai caked in Rin's blood.

Ahsoka's eyes narrowed fiercely at the man as she clenched her jaw, "H-How did I not sense you?"

The man gave a low chuckle, "You must be a sensor shinobi, eh?" Ahsoka stood still and said nothing as she continued to glare at the man, "Let's just say you are not the only one around."