Chapter 17

Tsukishima

"It's not your fault..."

"Yeah, how could you have known?"

"Don't worry kid, just think of her as sleeping."

Even though all these people are talking to me, I don't respond. I just stare at Yuna's body. Her unmoving, unresponsive body.

"She'll wake up soon." Suga puts his hand on my shoulder. "Have you called her parents yet?" He asks and I sigh.

Shit. I forgot to call them.

I keep my lips together, shaking my head.

"Let me see your phone, I'll call them. And I'll call your brother as well to let him know you're here." Suga offers, and I quietly take my phone out of my pocket. I feel something else and I take it out too.

Ah, it's her phone. After she ran out of my house I had to quickly run back upstairs to get dressed before continuing to chase after her. I seen that she left her phone so I grabbed it.

I clutch onto her phone, putting the password in for mine and passing it to Suga.

"Can you guys go sit in the waiting room?" Daichi turns to the rest of the team who's all bunched up in the room.

"C-Can I stay? I knew her too." Hinata's voice comes, and it's shaky.

"Alright. You and Kageyama stay. The rest of you, please go wait." Daichi responds, and they each say something to me before exiting the room.

"Hello?" Suga gets on the phone.

I put her phone on the bed, and reach out to grab Yuna's hand. Geez, I'm really shaking. I lace my fingers with hers, clutching her hand in both of mine.

How can things turn so bad, so fast? How can a few simple words throw someone into a frenzy like that?

"Tsukishima, Yuna-San's mother wants to speak with you." He says and I grab the phone.

"Come on guys, let's give him some space." Suga mumbles and when they're gone I put the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice is raspy so I quickly clear my throat.

"Tsukishima? I-Is she okay? That boy Suga said she's in a coma? She was hit? Are you okay? What's happening?" She speaks fast, bombarding me with questions.

"She just got out of surgery." I say lowly. "She ran into the street, a guy who was on his phone while driving hit her. The doctors said she's stable for now, but they don't know when she'll wake up."

The doctors actually don't know if she'll wake up, but I can't say that. I can't tell someone their daughter is basically dead.

"W-Why was she outside?" She sniffles, clearly crying. "I-I have to tell her father. Thank you for telling me. We'll be on our way as soon as possible."

Not even giving me a chance to respond- not that I would have anyways- she hangs up.

I place my phone next to hers on the bed and I look at her.

She has so many cuts and bandages wrapped around her head and other parts of her body that are covered by the hospital blanket.

This is because of me. I did this to her.

I became as bad as everyone else when I let those awful words leave my mouth. I became one of those people who gave her the worst life ever.

I'm no different than they are.

"Um," I say out loud, clearing my throat. "The doctors said that you might be able to hear us. Though, maybe you're still knocked out from the surgery." I stare at her hand.