next chapter

"Am I interrupting something?" Allie's voice echoed throughout my head, scaring me senseless. I jumped back on impulse with so much force I almost knocked over the kitchen chair, but instead my ass fell right on top of it. "Oh, so I am," Allie smirked.

I stood back up, flustered, and said, "what? NO! You're not! H-he was just icing my forehead. You're not interrupting anything except my healing process." I heard a snort turned into a cough barely escape Ryan's mouth as I made eye contact with nobody, especially not Allie.

I am just full of luck today, arent't I?

"I'm sure that's all I'm interrupting," she replied with, I'm sure, that evil little smirk on her face that's been there all morning. If she's assuming things why can't I?

"Dude, he was just icing my forehead nothing happened!" my voice exclaimed louder than expected. Yes, Taylor, you are soo convincing.

"Yep, you're definitely not lying to me right now." I finally looked up at her non-believing demeanor and accusing eyes. "Because you wouldn't lie to your best friend, right?" Aw shit, this is awkward. But luckily, or non-luckily depending on how you look at it, I was saved from answering.

"I think we all know who her real best friend is, Allie."

Allie scoffed. "Yeah. Me."

"That's not what I meant," he said with a crease between his eyebrows making him look like a little boy forced to make a decision between his favorite candies. God, he's so cute. This reminded me of the time when he didn't understand why floors are called 'hard wood' rather than just 'wood'. I'm not making that up either; he actually had a mental debate about that not even a couple months ago that left him dumbfounded. His argument was 'all wood is hard.' What a special kid.

"Oh! So you meant you and Taylor are best friends..." she paused as if for dramatic effect. Leave it to Allie to try and bring drama into a situatuon.

"YES."

"...with benefits." Ah, there's the continuation I was looking for.

"NO." me and Ryan spat at the same time.

"That's not the vibe I'm getting," she said with a twinkle in her eyes.

"I am so done with this conversation," I sighed, tuning towards the island in the kitchen.

"Ditto," Ryan agreed, joining me in facing away from Allie.

"Only because I'm right!" Allie cheered.

"Did you just say ditto?" I asked a smile growing on my face.

"Um, of course I did!" Ryan replied with confidence. I laughed, shaking my head at his response.

"Ooooh!" I heard Allie coo out of the corner of my thoughts. She continued, "you guys made pancakes too? You must really be getting along..." My head jerked up at the sound of the word 'pancakes' as she started walking around the island to face us. Now I can definitely see that trademark smirk on her face.

"Sorry Allie, but we didn't make any pancakes," I stated with a sigh. A sad sigh, may I add.

"Yes you did. Why else would there be a stack of such decadance on the counter?" Allie questioned. I looked up again, searching for that oh-so-decadent stack of pancakes until my eyes landed on them. Oh, how beautiful. I honestly had no idea where they came from, not like I was complaining. 

Ryan and I grabbed one from the stack. The difference between us though is I stuffed the pancake in my mouth, pleasure and warmth filling my mind and soul, whereas he held it like it was his dad's dirty underwear and looked at it in disgust. How could a pancake be so discriminated against? While I was still in cloud nine, he said, "Where the hell did these come from?" But before his question was answered, a much bigger problem walked into the room.