Chapter 14

Erik's POV

I stare down in disbelief at my beloved angel. She looked horrible. She was pale and lifeless. There were tubes coming from her arms and face. The sight made me want to cry and throw something. My beautiful angel in such a condition. What I would give to take her place. A few tears escape me eyes as I rest my hand over her cold one.

"I-is she...." I ask the doctor who had been silently watching me.

"Erik that bullet was a deadly shot." More tears fall. She's dead. I know it. God why are you doing this to me! "But.." the doctor says. I whirl around to see a small smile tugging at his lips. What is going on?! "She's a strong woman, and she held onto life long enough to get her through surgery. The bullet is out and well... her chances of survival look very good." I could have kissed him. My Christine is alive!!

"T-thank you." I say with more tears growing in my eyes.

"With this good news, there comes bad news." He says gravely. I brace myself.

"She's in a comma, and goes in and out of critical condition. What that means is we have to have a doctor always watching her." I nod. "Well we can't afford to do that here, so we must send her to London." That's not so bad we can always move... the doctor must sense my thoughts. "You will not be accompanying her." what?! "Monsieur, we cannot promise her survival, and because of her comma she might suffer memory loss." This was starting to get bad. "Therefore we must kill Miss Daaé" I panic. He wants to kill my Christine?!!! "Monsieur, please don't worry, I'm not actually going to kill her." I relax a little. "No one will know she's alive except for you. We haven't yet caught the killer, and we can't place false hope into people. Your daughter is troubled enough." That comment makes me angry, but I'm to stunned to call him out on it.

"So let me get this straight. You are sending my fiancé to London, where she may or may not live. if she does live she might forget about me and our daughter. No one else can know about this, and you want everyone to think she's dead." He nods.

"It's mostly for your daughters sake. Because of her mental condition this could send her off the edge and drive her further into insanity." My anger boils.

"My daughter is not insane!" I yell. "Just because she sees things in ways other people are just to blind to see doesn't mean she is insane!" I scream at him. Just who does he think he is anyway?!

"Monsieur please calm down. It was not my place." Damn right it wasn't! I turn my focus back to Christine. I turn to face her.

"So what does this mean?" I ask

"It means you need to say goodbye. I'll let you know if something happens in London." I let a few more tears fall from my eyes as I walk over to my beautiful Christine. I gently kiss her on the forehead. No words are needed. She knows I love her. With a heavy heart I go back home and thankfully Gwen is still sound asleep in my bed. I sit at my piano bench and watch over her. If only she could know.

"There's still hope." I whisper to my precious angel.