Chapter 26

Christine's POV

My face pales, and I quietly turn away from Gwen. She here. My best friend is here. I forgave her for what she did a long time ago, and I'm glad to know she's alive. I'm just concerned about what she will think of me. I glance down at the gold band on my left hand. I'm engaged to the man she fell in love with. This whole situation feels wrong. I don't think she will want to see me. Nevertheless I begin to ascend the stairs, each step bringing me closer to Meg.

With a shaky hand I knock on the door of the guest room she is in. Nadir opens the door, but only enough to allow him to slide out so I don't see anything. "Christine," he says softly. "Perhaps you should wait a while befo-"

"How is she?" I cut him off. I have to know she's okay. Nadir takes a deep breath.

"Not so good, I'm afraid." He runs a hand through his thick hair. "It's so sad..." he mutters to himself. I can't help the few tears that escape my eyes.

"Please... let me see her." I beg. He lets out another deep sigh.

"I-I'll have to ask Erik... He's tending to her now." I nod in agreement, the wait as he slides back into the room. He canes back a few moments later. "You may come in." He looks so hesitant, but I quickly brush past him and into the dim room. Erik is cleaning some cuts that are along two thin arms. My heart sinks as I see Meg's face. It's pale and evident that she hasn't slept well in a long time. Her once shiny gold hair was ratty and limp. Her eyes were closed and her shaky breathing was even. Tears welled up in my eyes seeing her like this. I quickly move to her side and grab her cold bony hand. I let a few tears fall then look up to Erik who has a hard look on his face.

"She can stay until she is recovered, but I am notifying the police she has been found. She'll need to figure out where to go from there." He turns to leave but I quickly stand up and turn him to face me. I make sure we are far enough from the bed so we don't wake her.

"You can't be serious!" I whisper yell. "We can't just throw her out onto the streets! Erik, look at her! She needs us, we can help!" More tears stream from my eyes at the thought of my helpless friend out alone on the streets. Erik reaches out and tenderly wipes away my tears.

"Angel I'm going to do all that I can for her, but don't think that for one second I could forgive her. Not after what she did to you. What she tried to do to Gwen." He leans in to kiss my forehead but I turn away. He closes his eyes and let's out a deep breath. "You can be mad at me, but my decision is final. I'm doing this to protect my family. You just need to understand that." With that he leaves the room, Nadir following behind him. I walk back over the bed and sink into a chair by Meg's side. I could never leave my friend. I don't care what she did in the past, I know there is still good in her. Erik just doesn't understand how to forgive, but he will.

Erik's POV

Christine just needs some time to calm down. I can see why she is upset with me, but I'm doing this for her good. Once she realizes that everything will be ok. I can't help but feel bad as well. I know what I did, and what I'm planning to do is harsh, but I can't risk something like the shooting happen again. I will not jeopardize my family like that. I just hope Christine can come around soon. I don't want her to be mad at me. We just got engaged, after all.

I decide to get Christine a book to read as she waits for Meg to wake up. It will be like a mini peace offering. I slip into the library and choose a book. As I'm walking out I notice Gwen curled up on the couch, fully engrossed in a book. I turn and sit by her. She glances up, then returns to reading. It stings a bit, but I brush it off. I wish I had a good relationship with my daughter, but I just don't. We both push people away. It's our thing. I just never realized how much it could hurt being the one who is pushed away. After the singing incident things were never the same between us. I know I can fix her stuttering, if only she'd let me. I've been trying to write Gwen a song, but I just can't seem to get it right. I don't know I'm going to do.