Chapter 21

Erik's POV

"Gwen?" I ask as I knock on her bedroom door. The door opens and I have to look down to meet my daughters eyes. "I'm going down to Phantasma, would you like to come?" I ask hopefully. I really want to have a strong bond with my daughter, and knowing how closed off she is, I jump at every possible opportunity to bond with her. She nods, then turns and carefully places some art supplies in a bag. Then she comes back in front of me, waiting for me to lead the way. I sigh, a little disappointed she didn't say anything to me, but I lead her out to the carriage waiting in front of the house.

Once we arrive at Phantasma, we walk through the park to get to my office. While we walk Gwen keeps looking around nervously. My brows furrow in confusion.

"Are you alright?" I ask as she looks over her shoulder for the hundredth time. She looks up at me.

"F-f-fine.." she replies. I'm still not convinced, but I decide not to pry.

We finally reach my office and Gwen begins to draw near the giant window that is on one wall of my office. I have one office in a tall building over looking the park, and another below the theater. I begin doing paper work while Gwen draws, but I quickly become bored. I keep going for another few hours, but I need a break. My eyes drift over to the piano. It's practically calling my name. I quickly stride over to the piano and begin playing the song I had written for Christine. After the opening, when Christine would begin singing, I heard a different voice. It was so quiet I almost didn't hear it.

Who knows when love begins...

My breath hitched and my hands fell from the keys. I slowly looked up at my daughter. Angel. Her voice was that of an angel. It was so much like Christine's, only it held something else to it... Something mysterious and ominous... Just like when I sing. All I can do is stare at her. The voice she has... at her age... its inhuman.... Angel....

"I-I-I'm s-sorry.... i-i didn't mean to d-d-disturb y-you..." she said. "I d-didn't think you w-would h-hear m-me." She whispered Disturb me?! This is wonderful! I can't believe I've never heard her sing! She began to walk away.

"Your technique is flawless." I commented. "Although there are a few adjustments that could be made so it's not so quiet. Where did you even learn such a technique?" She was astounding.

"Mother used to s-s-sing sometimes. I would w-watch her t-technique, then I m-m-modified it t-to work for m-me...." she said, still being very quiet.

"You are definitely my child." I murmured. "Will you sing for me, angel?" I so hoped she would. I need to hear her voice. It's been so long since I heard Christine's, but now I've found a voice that can live up to hers.

"I-I-I don't k-k-now...." she looked away.

"Gwen, what are you afraid of?" Obviously something is holding her back.

"I-I-I s-stutter w-when I talk...s-so what m-makes you t-think I can s-sing?" My poor little girl.

"Gwen, sweetie, I can help. I taught your mother how to sing, I can teach you." She looked away again.

"T-t-that's what I'm a-afraid of..." She whispered. "Y-you have h-h-high expectations... I-I-I'll only d-disappoint you when I c-can't get the w-words out."

"But you were just doing it! I know you can do it. You won't disappoint me. I know you won't. Please, just let me try. It would be a crime to leave your voice unheard." I plead with my daughter until she finally gives in. She stands at the curve of the piano and takes her stance. After a few warm ups, I know her voice is gold. She's amazing... more than amazing. So full of potential.. just like her mother. Now the time came where I would hear her voice.

"Are you sure you can handle this aria?" I ask before playing the song. She nods. "Alright." I begin to play the opening. When the time comes, Gwen takes a breath and begins to sing,

Who knows when love begins,
Who knows what makes it start..
W-w-w-w-w-w---

She stops when she can't get the word 'one' out. I shake my head. When I look up her eyes get moist.

"I-I-i t-told y-y-you!" She yelled, tears streaming down her face. Her stuttering always gets worse when she's upset.

"Gwen it's oka-" she cuts me off

"I-it's n-n-not ok!" Tears keep falling from her eyes. "I-I can't e-e-even sing p-p-properly! I-I'm s-such a f-freak!" She screams, before running out office, choking on her tears and sobs.