Chapter 17

Erik's POV

I have successfully burned off all my emotions by destroying pretty much everything in sight. My angel only remembers how cruel I was to her. It's to much to bear. I couldn't think like this, though. I have to stay positive. I have to find Gwen. My little angel, she's all I have now. I must find her! Raoul has gone back to paris, i can only hope he isn't drinking, for Gwen's sake. I begin walking up stairs, but I'm met halfway by a maid.

"M-monsieur!" She chokes out. She looks truly horrified. "Gwen!" She shouts and points up the stairs. I quickly stumble up the stairs, and I'm met with a horrible sight. The first thing I really notice is the blood and dirt caked to my angels face. She's white as a sheet, and bruises and cuts are visible everywhere. To make matters worse she is in the arms of someone I never though I would hear from again. My old friend, Nadir Kahn. My eyes widen at the sight before me.

"D-daroga! What happened?!" I say as I carefully take my limp daughter into my arms. Tears well up in my eyes. She is so small and fragile. Her blood has been spilt... suddenly rage enters my eyes. Whoever did this will pay.

"I don't know... I couldn't get her to talk to me." Daroga looks as nervous as I am. I'll deal with him later.

"Make yourself useful and get water, cloth, and bandages." I say before turning and taken Gwen to her bedroom. Daroga and a maid scurry off to get the stuff.

"My poor sweet angel, what has the cruel world done to you?" I whisper as I lay her onto her bed. Now I really look at her to see the extent of her damage. She looks lifeless. Her eyes are glazed over, like she's in shock. Angry tears filled my eyes. "Who did this to you?" I ask with venom in my voice. I get no response. It's like she doesn't even know I'm with her. The maid comes in with the supplies I asked for. I take it from her and set it up. "Please escort the man who brought my daughter here to the library, and make him feel welcome." I murmur the last part. "Then get a hold of a doctor." At the mention of a doctor, Gwen snaps back into focus.

"N-n-n-no" she cries weakly. I kneel next to her and brush some hair out of her face. Taking a wet cloth I gently wipe away some of the dirt and blood on her face.

"Shh angel, it's ok." I say softly. She winces as I hold the cloth to a cut on her forehead, and I try to be more gentle. It pains my heart knowing that she is in agony.

"Y-y-you can't c-c-call a d-docto-or" a stray year cascades down her face.

"Why not?" I ask confused. "Angel, you need help!"

"N-no! Th-they will j-just tell m-m-me I'm insane!" She try's to make her voice loud, but only hurts herself. "Just like you!" I got a pain in my chest and I took in a sharp breath. Stay calm. Stay calm. Oh how I wished I could tell her that her mother was alive!

"Angel you are not insa-"

"No!" She cut me off "you don't get to speak!" My eyes widen. She really is my daughter. I'm not sure wether I should be mad or not. "You think I'm insane! That's why you won't tell me about my mom!" She yelled. I know she's angry, because she hasn't stuttered yet. I just staring at her wide eyed. I decide to try again.

"You are not insane." I say calmly.

"Then tell me about my m-m-m-mother?" Her voice cracked.

"I-I can't." I look down, not wanting to look in her eyes.

"Because y-you think I'm i-i-insane!" She sobs. I feel tears coming to my own eyes. I go to touch her cheek, but she turns away from me, a cold sorrowful look in her eye. I draw my hand back, and stand up.

"Angel please.." I whisper. Nothing. No response. Suddenly I want to break something again. I quietly leave the room, leaving the maids to clean her up. I'm headed to my floor when I pass the library where Nadir is waiting for me. I sigh and walk in.

"Erik.. I know that we have had differences in our past, but I think we should set them aside, and leave them in the past, where they belong." he says as I sit. I slowly nod. I don't know why, perhaps it's the impact that my two angels have made in me in such a short time, but something has made the big bad phantom go soft. It feels as though I'm losing the only two women who brought life into my life. Even if I wouldn't say it out loud, I need Nadir. He would be a friend to the friendless. I feel tears come to my eyes, and I don't stop them from spilling.

"Oh Nadir..." I whisper. Before I know it, I've told him everything that's happened over these long, hard thirteen years. Once I'm done I take a shaky breath. I feel so much lighter.

"Erik, you have to give your daughter time. She's still trying to figure out her life, she's been through a lot. As for Christine, you have to keep hope." I nod. He always knows what to say.

"And you daroga? What has brought you here?" He clears his throat.

"I came to ask for help." I raise an eyebrow. "I went back to Persia." Now he has my attention. "The shah found out, and has been hunting me down for the past five years. I'm in a lot of trouble because of you, ya know." I can hear the playfulness in his voice. I can't stop the small smile that tugs at my lips. "Because you have disappeared so easily, I want you to help me disappear." I nod.

"I suppose I could do that." I then added softly, "thanks for saving my daughter."

"She's a beautiful girl Erik."he says. I nod

"I just wish she knew that." There was so much pain in my heart I couldn't take it. "Well, I'll show you to your room." I say, standing. He nods and I lead him upstairs. "We will talk more tomorrow, hopefully we can figure everything out." He nods.

"Good night old friend." He smiles and closes the door.

I slowly creep to my sleeping Angels room. It's late, and I know she isn't awake. I slip into her room and softly sit next to her bed. I love her so much, I never wanted to hurt her. I just wish everything was ok. I gently sing a lullaby for her. When I'm done she shifts, and her beautiful eyes flutter open. She doesn't look at me, but pays the spot next to her. I carefully slide into her bed, and without warning she snuggles into my chest. I held my breath, hoping she wouldn't leave me. Carefully, I put my arms around her.

"I love you..." she whispers. I close my eyes, basking in the moment.

"I love you so much."