Chapter 11

Erik's POV

While Gwen is asleep I decide to clean up around the lair. I start with all the broken glass, then I begin to organize my scattered music sheets. That alone takes 2 hours. I then begin to dust everything off, and get rid of cobwebs. I quietly sneak into the room Gwen is in and straighten that up as well. I glance over to my sleeping angel and smile. I check my watch to see its 5 in the morning. I quickly throw on my fedora and cape and rush into town. I pick up some pastries and chocolate then hurry back to the abandoned opera house. I make it back within a half hour and Gwen is still asleep. I lay the pastries on the table and go to my organ to compose. I thought I had lost my muse, but really she was still here. I still felt my angel with me, always.

I composed for a few hours and then I finally heard tiny footsteps coming from the bedroom. A very sleepy Gwen arrived in the music room a moment later. "Good morning sleeping beauty." I say sarcastically.

"Ha ha very funny." She says while rubbing her eyes. I laugh and she shoots me a look.

"Did you sleep ok?" I ask, shuffling through my music.

"Yea, I like the cute little monkey that plays music." She says while sitting next to me on the bench. I smile, that little monkey had so many memories attached to it.

"I have some pastries on the table for breakfast."

"I'm not hungry." She goes to get up but I stop her.

"Gwen, Raoul told me you haven't eaten anything since you got here, you have to eat." She just shakes her head.

"I'm not hungry." She says again. I begin to worry and I'm ready to force her to eat, but then I remember she is still a child. I decide to go about this softly and child like.

"You know," I say with a menacing tone. "Your mother had one weakness, and I'll bet you have it to." I say with a sly smile on my face. She slowly turns to face me.

"You wouldn't dare..." she said backing away slightly. She turned to run out of the room but I shot off the organ bench and grabbed her, throwing her over my shoulder. She squealed and tried to squirm out of my hold, but I kept a tight grip on her flailing limbs. I throw her onto the couch and begin to mercilessly tickle her. She squeals and laughs the most adorable laugh I have ever heard. Her face turns bright red and she tries to push me off, but to no avail. "Alright!" She pants. "You win...you win! I'll do whatever you want!" She says breathless.

"That was easy." I say laughing as she springs up and holds her aching sides. She hits me with one of the oversized sleeves she is wearing. "Oh? You want more?" I say reaching out to her.

"No!" She screams and runs into the dining room. "I'm eating, I'm eating!" I laugh and join her to eat.

Once we finished eating we both change and prepare to go back to the manor, where Raoul is probably worried sick about us. "I think you should open this place back up." Gwen says as I lead her through the tunnels of my beloved opera house. "It would be so cool to have the Phantom of the opera as my father!" She squeals. I laugh.

"You know, it would be great to see this thing running again." I sigh remembering all the memories, good and bad.

"You should daddy. I've always wanted to sing at an opera house. Maybe I will be visited my the angel of music!" She exclaims. She then leans in close and whispers, "even though I know that you're the angel of music." we both laugh. I have a very smart daughter. I've been noticing that while she had been down here, she has been speaking normally and not stuttering. She seems to be at home here.

"Gwen, I think I just might do that. Open, the opera house that is. And you'll be my new prodigy." she squeals in excitement.

"Oh yay! Thank you daddy!" I smile at her enthusiasm. God, she is so much like Christine. We finally get to the surface and we mount our horses and ride home.

"Gwen! You're alright! I was worried sick about you! Don't you ever run off like that again young lady!" Raoul says when we finally reach the manor. He hasn't let go of Gwen since we got here. "Where were you all night?!" He asks me.

"She went to the opera house, and I had to chase her through some tunnels. Next thing we know we are crying together in the dark for 3 hours. Long story short, clarity was found at 12:00 in the morning and our clothes were all wet so we just spent the night in my lair." I say trying to hold back a smile. Raoul just shoots me a look. I turn to Gwen. "Why don't you go pack up your things, you're coming to Coney with me." She smiles and quickly runs up to her room. I then turn to Raoul. "Shall we discuss custody?" He nods and sits at his desk. "What I was thinking is every other month she says with you. What do you think?"

"I think it's fair. As long as it's ok with her. I don't want to stress her out with constant moving." I nod

"She'll stay with me the first month, because of the loss of her mother. Then she can come and meet you in Paris for the next month. I believe we should spend holidays together. We could take turns hosting, I do believe we can set aside our differences for her sake. That's what Christine would want."

"Yes, that sounds fair. I agree that we can put our differences aside for Gwen's sake, but do you really want her to travel alone?" He asks a bit shocked

"I trust her." was my simple reply. "Of course the first month or so, I'll go with her to make sure she's ok, but I own the ferries that come and go from Coney, so you needn't worry about that. What I am concerned about is the money situation. Are you sure you can support my child?" He sighs.

"Look, I know I've made mistakes in the past but when I came home I found that my grandfather passed away leaving me with 5 million francs. I promise you I won't blow this." I nod.

"One more thing. If you dare lay a hand on her, or hurt her in anyway shape or form, I will personally kill you." I warn.

"Same goes for you." You he says in a hateful tone. At first I was offended but then I remembered I nearly killed him so I guess that was fair.

"Daddy? Can you help me with my bags?" We hear Gwen call from upstairs. Raoul and I both stand and head for the door. We turn and glare at each other. This was going to take a lot of getting used to.