3 days ,

Three more days until Christmas , three more until I'd see him again. He was returning on christmas. He'd been gone for so long now I think it's been almost half a year.

I sat in the little cafe he would always bring me to before he left for work. I stared at the window looking at the raindrops gracefully gliding down the lane of glass warping and blurring everything outside. A smile slowly made its way up my face as I remember the time we sat here and had raindrop races seeing which one would fall to the bottom first.

"Miss it's near closing time, you might want to make your way home!" The girl at the counter calls
"Oh yes I'm sorry I lost track of time there, thank you for the lovely food" I reply leaving a tip for the nice girl.
She simply smiled back at me and let me leave.

I caught the late bus instead of walking home. Three more days, I remind myself ,three more days. Soon enough the bus approached the little suburban house which I call home. I say thank you to the bus driver and hop off. Making my way up to the door I notice the light on inside my living room , huh I must have forgot to turn it off , I thought. I turn the handle of the door, it unlocked. Hoping it's not a serial killer and just me forgetting to lock it, even though I'm sure I did , I walk into the house.

I slip my heels off at the door and put my bag down next to them. Turning around I am greeted with bluish-grey eyes staring into mine. It was him. It was actually him. He had come home three days early. He held his arms out and I run into them hurrying my head in his chest taking in as much of his scent as I could get. He smelt like firewood and parchment. He rested his chin on top of my head and kissed my head every so often. Tears welled up in my eyes and soon enough I was crying into his chest. He held me tighter for a moment and then released me.

Wiping away my tears , he cradled my head in his hand. I looked at him, he had been gone for six months on a trip with his company. His hair was now a bit longer and his skin was tanner. He placed a soft kiss to my lips and then hugged me again. We started to sway to imaginary music that played in our head and he led me over to the couch.

We sat cuddling on the couch for what seemed like hours. Sometimes we'd be in silence others he'd be reading to me or we'd just be talking about the past six months , it was like a dream