*

‘You’ve hurt her!’ Elisha shouted over Jaydene’s cries.

‘She was talking bare. It’s just a cut.’ Kaine says, still calm. Elisha knew it was something serious, Jaydene’s face was scrunched up in pain as tears poured out of her eyes. Elisha had been successful in protecting Jaydene for these past 3 days, but today Kaine had gotten annoyed and roughly grabbed her and pushed her, causing her to fall in an awkward position, and cry like she had been for the past 15 minutes.

‘She’s hurt, look at her arm!’ Elisha shouts in panic. ‘Shh Jaydene, it’s alright.’ Elisha stroked Jaydene’s hair and attempted to calm her down.

‘Shut her up!’ Kaine shouts in anger. Elisha throws him a look before smiling down at Jaydene. Her cries, were now loud whimpers.

‘Shall we try to get up, yeah?’ Elisha tries to get Jaydene to sit up which causes her to cry loudly, screaming this time. Elisha immediately places her back down. She looked at Jaydene’s arm, which had already started bruising. It looked wrong, it was bent weirdly and seemed to be swollen.

‘What’s wrong with her?’

‘I think we need to go hospital.’ Elisha informs him, as a plan formulates in her head.

‘Nah, no hospitals.’

‘Do you have a first aid kit?’

‘Nah.’

‘Go and buy one. I’ll need some cast cloth as well. Get some calpol.’ She hurriedly throws instructions at him.

‘Do I look like a fucking shop?’

‘It’s either that or an ambulance Kaine!’ Elisha screams at him. ‘Hurry!’ Jaydene’s eyes were closing as she whimpers quietly. As soon as Kaine was out of the door, Elisha called an ambulance.

‘Please hurry! I think her arm is broken, and she’s only 2. She’s passed out, and s-she might’ve hit her head, I think she’s bleeding.’ Elisha ignored the operator’s instructions, and exaggerated the situation in an attempt to ensure the ambulance came as fast as possible. She gave the address, before hanging up.

‘Mummy.’ Jaydene whimpers sadly.

‘Mummy’s coming, okay?’ Elisha cooed Jaydene. In 9 minutes, she heard a knock at the door. ‘I’m coming back, okay Jaydene?’ Elisha flew to the front door, opening it wide befor running back to the direction of Jaydene. ‘Here, quickly!’

The ambulance workers immediately got down to business. As the commotion and hubbub was going on, no one noticed Elisha slip out of the room. She hurriedly put her coat and shoes on, grabbing all of her belongings. She went into Jeremiah’s room, feeling an overwhelming emotion at the aspect of never seeing her son again. She didn’t even know where Jeremiah was now, and that hurt her.

She went over to his crib, taking his blanket. Tears filled her eyes as she inhaled the familiar scent; the smell of baby powder and cinnamon sticks. She packed the blanket in her bag, along with a photo frame that contained a picture of Jeremiah. Her heart broke, as she knew she was making a big mistake however she knew it would all work out in the end.

‘Okay, what hapoened?’ A female ambulance worker asked, turning back where she thought she had seen the teenage girl, but was met with no one. ‘Who’s seen where the girl has gone?’ She shouted to her two colleagues. They all looked around, surprised that she was nowhere to be seen, but continued their job.

As Kaine reached his flat, humming to a beat in his head whilst swinging the Chemist’s bag he didn’t notice the blue flashing lights. When he witnessed a paramedic carrying a now quiet Jaydene out of his flat, he ducked and ran behind a car.