Chapter 40.

Dontae's POV

'Ay, what's wrong with you man?' Rahiem asks me, glancing at me then going back to counting the money.

'Nuttin.' I reply before bagging the 2k I had just counted.

'You're bare depressed and that.' Avery chuckles. Rahiem and Josiah agree.

'Is your girl cheating on you or suttin?'

'Nah.' I reply bluntly.

'Your girl's buff, not gonna lie.' Rahiem licks his bottom lip. I screw him causing Avery and Josiah to laugh.

'Are you looking to catch a case? You're 19, ak.' I kiss my teeth. Rahiem screws me back before chuckling.

'She's a virgin too, inih?' Avery asks. I nod. 'My yungen did good bwoy!' Avery pats my back. I chuckle and decide to call her. I wanted to see how her therapy went. I've been constantly pissed off recently. It makes me angry knowing Jay is hurting and I can't do shit, I can't even touch her or nuttin. I swear as soon as we find this wasteman.

I whip my phone out and call her. It rang and rang but eventually went to voicemail. I call again, frowning but again, it went voicemail.

'Someone's whipped.' Josiah coughs.

'Fuck off.' I kiss my teeth. We finish counting the money and end up with 17 bags.

'I swear we're only meant to have 15 bags?' Avery asks. I nod in agreement.

'Reaps is gonna be happy. Best give us more p for this.' Rahiem says rubbing his hands together. I look at the time to see it's already 11pm.

'Ay, you man I might cut. Got work tomorrow.' I sigh putting my jacket on.

'Work? Like a legal job?' Josiah asks in shock. I nod, smiling at their reactions.

'Yeah, training little kids at football.' I reply.

'Rah, swear you're 15?'

'Yeah, swear you man are 19 and never had a legal job?' I chuckle and duck as Avery attempted to hit me.

'Rah, so you're not working for Reaps no more, nah?' Rahiem asks.

'Nah, I am.' I chuckle. I was slowly tryna leave the streets, it would be hard but having Jayda just made me realise a lot of stuff.

Working for Reaper is not permanent, when I was recruited I was only 11. What 11 year old wouldn't be gassed if the most known older trusted him to hide a gun? That was how it started. They told me to hide the gun and I got £20, gradually it led up until I was in charge of making sure the rest of the runner's gave the right amount of money. I did this with Avery, Rahiem and Josiah; they were 18/19 so it was unusual that a 15 year old yute like me was with them.

Reaps just loved me, I never moved up in ranks like everyone else. It was like school, you get the 'year 7s' or the 'babies/tinies' who are likkle yutes still in primary school who mainly followed the runners around. Then it was the 'year 8/9's', the runners. They were the ones who did the shotting. After that was the 'year 10's', the ones who were in charge of a group of runners each. They receive money from the runner's who then gave it to us, I was in 'year 11' with the older ones. We weren't the right hand men but we were trusted, we looked after the money and counted it to make sure we receive the right amount, we then give the right amount to Reaps, then distribute the rest of between everyone. Since I was young, Reaps sometimes made me Jayden and Corahn do little jobs.

It would be almost impossible to leave but I was going to. I aint gonna let the streets rule my life.

I'm smart, quite well off, why do I need to do this? Not gonna lie, it was for the money. I made more money than the average man in the UK. I didn't want to rely on Auntie J all the time, I wanted some money of my own. I had been saving since I was 11 and had about 20k hidden in my house. I know, that's way too much for a 15 year old kid still at school to have.