Chapter 34.

‘Wake up nut!’ I feel someone shake me. 'Nuuuuuut!'

‘No.’ I mumble.

‘Mum! Jayda’s not waking up!’ He shouts, leaving my room. My eyes open. What a little bitch. I stretch and yawn then proceed to get up. It was finally Christmas Eve, which means everyone was coming round for the party. Every year, since I was like 5 we had adapted this Christmas tradition. On Christmas Eve mine, Dontae’s and Nia’s family would have a party together and each year it rotated at all our houses. This year it was at mine.

When I’m actually awake, I get up and brush my teeth then wash my face. I knew my mum would make me do a series of chores so I decided I would shower just before I got dressed. I went to the kitchen to be greeted with my mum surrounded by food.

‘Finally! I need you to peel these potatoes and carrots, then erm. Jay is gonna drop Jaydene off whilst we go shopping. Make sure she is presentable, make sure the house is presentable, make sure you and Jayden are presentable. Put the decorations up with your dad and what else?’ She says rushing around the kitchen.

‘Alright mother.’ I say knowing I’m not gonna remember half the things she said. ‘What time is everyone coming?’

‘Told everyone to come at 2.’

‘Mum! Its 10 already! You only have 4 hours.’ I squeal. How am I meant to do everything she wants me to and still have time to get ready?!

‘I know! So hurry your backside up!’ She says. I roll my eyes and grab the bowls filled with carrots and potatoes. I hate peeing potatoes, it’s so long. I go into the front room to see my dad and Jayden adding more presents to the Christmas tree. It was already over-filled.

‘Mum said peel the carrots.’ I say handing a bowl to Jayden. He scoffs and exits the room. I mumble profanities under my breath before sitting down and getting to peeling.

*

‘Jayda! Jaydene’s here! Me and your dad are going now, tidy up please! Presentable!’ My mum shouts before the door slams.

‘Tia JJ!’ Jaydene enters the front room.

‘Hello buba!’ I squeal picking her up. She was wearing a pink Nike tracksuit with her hair scraped into a messy bun. I’m guessing Sammy wasn’t at home and Jay had attempted to do her hair. Her eyes go wide when she sees all the presents under the tree. She giggles excitedly.

It was already 12 so I decided I should put the decorations up. My dad had already put up lights and said he was gonna help with the rest but followed my mum shopping, such a snake. I sit Jaydene down and put on Disney Junior whilst I start the decorations. It was just simple ‘Merry Christmas’ banners and stuff like that. I put that wreath thingy on the front door and decide I’ve done enough work.

‘Shall we go get ready?’ I ask Jaydene, picking her up. She nods vigorously. I go upstairs and into my mums room where some of Jaydene’s clothes were. My mum had already laid out a cute red dress, with white spots on the bed along with a little white cardigan and a matching head band. I quickly dress her up and decide to put her hair into a neat donut bun. I took a picture of her and put it in Instagram, she looked too cute.

‘Jayden, look after Jaydene please. I need to shower.’ I say entering his room.

‘You cool yg?’ He says taking her from me.

‘Denis!’ She calls Jayden ‘Denis’ for some reason. No one knows why. I go and shower. I was actually excited to see all my family, it should be a live gathering.

At 1pm my mum, dad and Jay had entered the house with bags of snacks and food. My mum quickly got ready and we all looked presentable. My mum was adding finishing touches to the house downstairs whilst I was perfecting my eyeliner.