"I'm sorry for what I said to you, Shane. I was just angry and frustrated because you still treat me like a little kid but I guess I'm not as ready to be a grown-up as I thought. I mean, I still think I'm too old to be spanked but obviously you guys disagree so I guess there isn't much I can do about it. Anyway, I'm sorry." I looked down at the floor, too ashamed to face him now. I really am sorry. He didn't deserve that.

"Lisa." Shane waited for me to look up before continuing.

When I met his gaze, I noticed his demeanor changed completely, going from despondent to dark, in the blink of an eye.

"I have never been disrespected like that before in my life. You know I love you but if you ever curse at me in that fashion again, I will not walk away. I will not take the time to get my temper in check. I will not get my emotions under control. I will, however, unbuckle my belt and wipe that word from your vocabulary, permanently! Understand?"

The stony look on Shane's face was rivaled only by the frigid, heartless tone in his voice. I was truly scared shitless of him at this moment.

"Yes sir," I said, never taking my eyes off him.

"Go to your room and get ready for bed."

I hightailed it out of there and didn't look back. I didn't release the breath I'd been holding until I was safely in my room with my back pressed up against the door.

Neil's office

Mike's pov

"I think you know why you're here, Michael. Don't you?" Neil gave me the look that makes me feel two feet tall and two years old.

"Yes sir, I know why," I replied humbly.

"You let your temper override your common sense, which could have resulted in disastrous consequences. Didn't you?"

"Yes sir."

"How are we going to prevent that from happening again, Michael?"

"I don't know, sir."

Sighing and shaking his head, Neil continued, "What tactic did we use at the hospital in the past to get you back on track and hone your skills, Michael?" Neil narrowed his eyes as he stood before me, stance rigidly squared, arms crossed.

"But, sir, I was a surgical resident then in need of improving my focus in the operating room. This is different."

"Is it? That improvement in your focus led to you becoming the finest surgeon that hospital has ever seen, perhaps even the finest surgeon in the state. Did it not?"

"Yes, sir, but I'm already focused on being a good guardian and I have been for over a decade now. I don't think this is necessary," I whined.

"I'll decide what's necessary." Neil frowned at me as a warning to quit my whimpering. "While you're an excellent father to your girls, Michael, there is always room for improvement. Wouldn't you agree?"

I sighed and looked down at my hands as I fiddled with them in my lap to avoid having to look Neil in the eye.

"Michael!"

"Yes sir, I agree," I replied, now completely resigned to my fate.

"Get on your knees in the corner, Michael. Nose to the wall, back straight, hands on the back of your head, elbows out."

I slowly stood up as I was in no hurry to endure this particular form of discipline again. It didn't exactly evoke pleasant memories of my time spent as a surgical resident.

"NOW, MICHAEL DAVID! QUIT STALLING!" Neil barked.

"Yes sir." I quickly got into position knowing the penalty I'd receive if I required a second warning.

"You know the drill, Michael. If the book falls, I add on five minutes to your time." Neil placed a heavy anatomy book on the top of my head. "I'll set the timer at sixty minutes. We won't go past ninety but every infraction accrued that would extend your time beyond ninety minutes results in twenty push-ups." Neil sat back down behind his desk. "Your time begins now, Michael."

I did my best to focus on controlling my muscles to remain steady and in position. After letting the book slide from my head four times in the first fifteen minutes, I became extremely frustrated, which did not go unnoticed by my mentor.

"Do I need to remove my belt to provide some added encouragement, Michael? Because I would be happy to oblige."

"No sir, that won't be necessary," I hissed through my clenched jaw.

"Focus, Michael David," Neil stated without looking up, as he continued with his office work.

"DAMMIT!" I shouted, after the book slipped for the fifth time.

"That little outburst earned you a penalty of forty push-ups. I suggest you hold your tongue, young man."

I let the book slip three more times during my ninety minutes in the corner, meaning I now have eighty push-ups to complete. Normally doing push-ups wouldn't be so bad and certainly wouldn't be considered a harsh punishment, but after holding your hands on the back of your head with your elbows out for over an hour it's nearly impossible as your arms shake so bad from continuously tensing and straining your muscles.

I quickly got down into position and started. The burn in my arms after each push-up was excruciatingly painful. After hitting the halfway point, I slowed down considerably.

"Don't you dare give up, Michael. Concentrate and work through the burn. Hone your focus on the end goal."

With Neil's encouragement I was able to complete all eighty push-ups, despite how loudly my arm and back muscles screamed at me to stop. Standing before my mentor, a sweaty exhausted mess, I sincerely spoke my apology and gratitude.

"I'm sorry I let my temper get the best of me and asked my daughter to leave our home. Thank you for disciplining me, sir."

"Let this be a lesson for you to keep your temper in check, Michael." Neil arched one eyebrow. "You'd be wise to take heed as you know full well what happens when a refresher course is required."

My cheeks flushed as I lowered my head in embarrassment. I did indeed know what happens during a refresher course. That is something one does not forget.

"That won't be necessary, sir," I replied sheepishly, returning my gaze to my mentor.

"Good." Pulling me into a hug before dismissing me, Neil said, "See to it that we don't need to repeat this lesson, son."