Chapter One: Meet the Gang

You switched off the TV, bored to the bone by the news. If you still lived with F/N, you'd probably be playing Monopoly or Beat Saber. But, not wanting to waste the birthday money you'd been saving up since your thirteenth birthday, you'd limited yourself to the things you need to survive: A motel room, plates and other dishes, cutlery, and the oh-so-loved coffee machine and coffee packets.

Well, I guess I wanted to leave the nest, You rolled over on the saggy couch, switching on your phone, automatically going into your contacts and ringing up your dad. When you were fifteen, your parents decided that they wanted to move to England, but they didn't have enough money to spare for your ticket. So, they decided that their childhood friends, F/N's parents, could take care of you until you moved out. And look where that got me...

"Hey Y/N!" Your dad's warm voice came through the phone and you put him on speaker as you walked over to your kitchen counter and starting up the coffee machine. "How's the American lifestyle treatin ya?"

"It's been okay, but I still don't have a job yet." You got out a packet of coffee and your favourite mug from the cupboard. "How's the Pom-land treating you?"

"Yeah, it's been fine. It sucks that you don't have a job, have you been looking?"

"Well, of course I've been looking," you answered, stirring everything in the mug. "Just not regularly."

" 'Not regularly'?! Hun, if you want to be at the top of your game, you have the check regularly for jobs!" Your dad cried through the phone and you sighed. You should have known not to tell your dad you didn't have a schedule for every single thing you did. He was an absolute stickler for organising things.

"Sorry, dad," you sighed as you took your phone and coffee to your couch, placing the mug onto the mess-of-a coffee table.

"Why don't you call F/N?" Dad suggested. "She's always got her eyes on job advertisements, doesn't she?"

"Yeah, you got that right!" You smiled, a little bit offended, since it seemed like F/N was the daughter your dad had always wanted: Perfectly placed freckles, H/C hair with E/C eyes and a slim frame, she had always been the subject your father could get stuck on for hours if he wanted to. "Sure, I'll give her a call. Bye dad, love you."

"Love you too, Y/N!" And before you even touched the phone, your dad hung up for you. Your shoulders sagged a little, and you took a sip of your bitter coffee, placing it back on the small table in front of you and calling F/N. As always, she answered within the first two rings.

"Hey, Y/N! How's it going?" F/N's tone was always cheery, and it's what you needed at this point in life.

"Sup, F/N? Yeah, I'm fine, but I need a job. Any places I should look at?" You got up from your couch and looked outside your window, pulling back the moth-eaten curtains. Lights flickered on and off and there was the occasional rev of a motorbike engine. Sure, it was a mess full of teenage gangs and stray animals, but it was your home now. Who knows, maybe you'd find someplace else one day.

"Actually, I was just about to call you about that. Are you a physic or something?"

"If I were a physic, I'd be working at the carnival downtown." You replied bluntly. After your chat with your dad, weren't up for friendly banter.

F/N seemed to catch onto your mood and quickly cut to the chase. "I'm pretty sure a place at Circus Baby's Rentals just opened up."

You quickly swiped up Google and looked up the place. "Should that name seem familiar to me, or am I just crazy?" You asked F/N as you scrolled through Wikipedia.

"Remember that ballerina robot I had at my sixth birthday party?"

"Ballora, right?"

"Yeah, that's the place we rented her from."
Oh, of course! You suddenly remembered F/N's sixth birthday party, and Ballora, twirling and pirouetting around the party. You had had such a fun time. Although, you noted, after the party you had never seen Tom, your childhood crush again.