14. I.H. - Christmas, pt. 3

Heya, how you doing?

First off, merry Christmas and happy holidays to you guys! I hope you're all doing well, safe and sound with your families this season and keeping protected from the virus (unless you're luckily from New Zealand). Hope you had a great one! If you didn't, here's me passing on some dinner to ya. Get yourself a glass of wine and dig in.

Second, so sorry that this third part got delayed. Since it was Christmas, I was busy with gift-wrapping, cleaning, getting away from academics, and more. I had written half of this since the last update, but I completely forgot about updating because, ya know, Christmas.

Lastly, I'm even more sorry to say that I won't be updating next week. It's a short break from uni work, and even though our uni's pretty cool to give us a month-long break after the first week of January, I really need to unwind next week to fight that last week of the semester! GSS updates will resume on January 9th, which is a Saturday. Hope it's alright with you guys.

For now, let's get on with it, shall we? Again, happy holidays, you guys. See ya!

Character: Ian
Requested by: (author-made)
POV: Ian

-/-/-

A few hours ago

-/-/-

"Sorry, Mom," I say to my mom on my phone, picking up a box of chicken in the grocery store and putting it in my cart. "I still have stuff to sort at the office today. I don't think I'll be able to make it to Sacramento tonight."

"Now that's a bummer," she tells me, sighing. "But honey, make sure to FaceTime me tonight, okay? I just want you to still be here with us, you know, in spirit."

"Wow, sounds like I died."

"I miss you every day, Ian," she replies. "I wish you and Pam could come over."

"Mom."

"Not as a couple, obviously! That girl's a sweetheart on her own," she says, laughing. "She gives me better gifts than you do. It's too bad you two fell out though. She was perfect."

"I know," I mumble, looking wistfully at my cart as I make my way to the cashier. "But hey, we're still good friends. She talks to me more than I talk to her though."

"That's because she doesn't have any regrets."

"And I have regrets in our relationship?"

"No," she answers. "You have regrets in pretty much anything you do, except for Smosh."

I push my glasses back to my face with a sad smile. "You know what? I'll see what I can do to make it home tonight."

"Ah, my lucky charm worked!" she exclaims, grinning. "You better have something to bring over, my boy. I love you!"

"Love you too, Mom," I reply before hanging up and putting my things next to the register.

Christmas wasn't so bad. I mean, sure, everyone felt like tigers being freed from their cages at the zoo, so everything was festive. That lamppost giving off light? Wrap more lights around it. Those signs placed on a building? Make them shine. These boxes of uncooked chicken waiting to be served on a table of a warm, loving home? Yeah, put a red bow on it, as if someone would be overjoyed to receive this. But then again, I'm the one handing my card to this emo kid to pay the box of chicken off, so...

I wasn't a big fan of the holidays. You would probably think that I was, because over at Smosh, we celebrated like, I dunno, tigers being freed from their cages at the zoo. But that's just an ordinary Thursday for all of us there, and if you have Courtney and Sarah planning the parties, you know you're in for the true definition of a celebration. But of course, everything sort of ends there, because when you're home with dirty laundry, pictures of your best friend who lives ten minutes away from you but he has a girlfriend, and uncooked chicken with you, well... let's just say it's not the best thing to have.