10

Colby

Lia and I walk hand-in-hand down the strip. 

"Your team is really sweet," she smiles, looking over at me.

"Yeah," I laugh lightly. "They're great."

"You never took me as the easily jealous type," she teases. I chuckle and purse my lips.

"Well, when someone's sending drinks to the pretty girl I'm with, I might get a little defensive," I smirk, taking a swing of my beer.

"And there you go again with the flirting," she laughs. It's like music to my ears. Faking a yawn, I put an arm around her and pull her closer. 

"How are you not cold? It's like forty degrees."

"I already have one of your jackets," she grins up at me. "I don't think I need anymore."

"But they look better on you," I flirt.

"It's fine," she assures. "We should probably start heading back anyway."

"Alright," I nod, "you lead the way, my lady."

"Why thank you," she plays along. As she starts walking, she freezes.

"You okay?" I question, taking her hand.

"Colby," she whispers. My eyes follow her gaze before landing on the guy who sent her a drink. "Has he been following us?"

"We need to get you home," I whisper, taking her hand.

"What if he follows us there?" she mumbles.

"Then you stay with me," I offer.

"Colby," she begins.

"I don't want you to get hurt, Lia," I interrupt. 

"I was going to say I don't want to intrude," she begins. "But if you really want me to stay then I will."

"Okay," I nod, taking her hand. We walk back to my car. Opening the door, I let her slip in. I get in on the driver's side and pull out of the parking lot. She looks behind us as I drive off. She turns back around and starts twisting the ring on her finger. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she mumbles. My hand takes hers. She jumps at the action but relaxes soon after. "I'm sorry."

"You're fine," I assure.

"It's just," she takes a deep breath, laying her head against the seat. "It's one of my biggest fears to be followed."

"That's understandable," I nod glancing over at her. My thumb rubs her thigh gently. Her leg bounces rapidly. The ride is silent on the way back to my apartment. When we get there, I get out and open her door. My hand slips into hers when she gets out. As we're walking up to my apartment, she keeps looking behind her. We get inside the elevator and I let the doors shut before stepping in front of her. My hands cup her cheeks. "Look at me, Lia." Her brown eyes meet mine. There's a million years of hurt within them. 

"I'm fine," she lies. She starts twisting the ring on her finger again. Before I can question her, the door opens. Sighing, I take her hand and lead her to my door. I unlock it and she walks inside. "Where's your bathroom?"

"First door on the left," I answer. She nods before disappearing behind it. Sighing, I fall onto my couch. My hands run through my hair. I barely know her, I shouldn't care this much, I scold myself. The sink water begins running. Standing, I walk over to the door and knock lightly.

"Yeah?" She croaks.

"Come out when you're ready, okay?" I suggest softly.

"Okay," she replies back quietly. My head and forearm rest against the door for a moment. Pushing off the door, I go back to the couch and turn on the TV. A few minutes later, she comes out with her hair messy and her makeup gone. She looks exhausted. My arms open and she walks over. She rests her head on my chest and I wrap my arms around her. She pulls her knees close. My lips kiss her head lightly. 

"It's okay," I whisper.

"You're one of the only people to actually let me be during a panic attack," she whispers.

"I know what it's like," I reply, rubbing her back.

"It's scary."

"It is." She goes quiet. After a while, I carefully shake her awake. "You should get some sleep."

"Do you have anything I can change into?" She mumbles. 

"Yeah," I nod, "let me go look."

"Okay," she agrees, scooting back. Standing, I go to my room and look through the drawers. The only thing I can find is an old shirt and a pair of sweatpants that were too small. Walking out, I see her curled up on the couch. Her eyes meet mine and she stands. "Thank you."

"It's no problem," I nod. She walks past me and back into the bathroom. My head hangs as a sigh leaves my lips. Moments later, she's out. The shirt and pants are baggy and barely fit. Smiling, I take her hands. "You look great."

"Why thank you," she smiles sweetly. Placing my finger under her chin, I lift her eyes to mine.

"You're beautiful," I mumble. She closes the space between us. My hands are on her hips and her arms wrap around my neck. Our lips dance across each other. She pulls away and I rest my head against hers.

"You ready for bed?" She questions.

"Yeah," I nod. "I'll take the couch."

"No," she interrupts. 

"It's fine, Lia. I usually end up out here anyway."

"What? Is your bed not big enough for us to share?" She teases, making me laugh.

"If you're okay with it," I grin. She nods before resting her head on my chest. Kissing her head, I walk us into my room. She falls onto my bed and closes her eyes. Chuckling, I go to the other side of the bed and lay down next to her. My arm wraps around her and pulls her close.

"Thank you," she whispers.

"For what?" I question, looking down at her. 

"Letting me stay."

"It's no problem," I assure, brushing hairs out of her face. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She sighs before smiling softly. "I've had problems with stalking in my past. So having someone follow me is really scary."

"You're safe here," I whisper. "Is that what caused your anxiety to get worse?"

"No," she answers. "I'll tell you someday."

"And I'll be here to listen."