Chapter 12

The next morning, Rex woke on the couch, the jangling of the chains notifying him that they had not removed them yet. Dreary, he opened one of the doors in the living room and he spotted a staircase. He dragged his feet up the flight of stairs, the chains making melodies as they followed obediently behind him. The stairs led into a hallway with four doors.

Rex tried turning the knobs on the first two doors but they were locked from the inside. He cursed and trudged to the third door, it happened to lead into a bedroom. The wolves had placed a change of clothes for him on the single bed, and a door in the room opened to the bathroom.

      Rex threw off his foul smelling clothes and stepped into the shower, revelling in the icy cold water as it slowly woke him up. It was kind of odd taking a shower with chains but he did not pay much attention to it. He stepped out some minutes later and dressed up in the T-shirt and knickers they had placed on the bed.

      His senses were finally awake after the shower, so he slowly took in the room. The walls were cream colored like the living room. There was a wardrobe for clothes and stuff wedged into the wall. A 3-D Holovision (holographic television) was placed on the wall and it turned on showing images of some fight somewhere between some refugees.

      Rex sighed as he turned it off and stepped out of the room to an inviting smell of bacon. His stomach growled in protest of its emptiness and he had to restrain himself from running down the stairs. He did however go down three steps a time and walked to the kitchen.

      Talia stood with her back to him, dressed in a purple blouse and black loose pants. Her hair had been braided into a ponytail and covered with a scarf. She was fighting with some ingredients, bending them to her will to make whatever it was she was making.

Talia was completely absorbed in her work and didn’t notice Rex creep up behind her.

He screamed, “Boo!!!” and she whirled around in surprise, bathing Rex in the egg barter she had been beating.

      She stared at Rex with horror, but it soon turned to a laugh at Rex’s visage. His hair had been dyed part yellow with yolk and part of it had fallen on his face too. Rex licked a part that fell on his lips and laughed, “Hmm, raw egg. Not my thing but I heard it’s healthy,” he winked, and she felt relieved he wasn’t mad.

      Rex sauntered off to a fridge and returned with fresh eggs, not bothering about the yolk on his head, “In payment for this,” he said pointing at his hair, “you are gonna teach me how to make one of these.”

      Talia blushed, and nodded at Rex though her wolf part was planning instant revenge on him. She got her chance when she made Rex overheat the eggs and added some oil to make it explode in his face. Rex grinned and got a new set, determined to learn how to make the damn thing. He never thought that the shy girl was the saboteur to all his attempts.

      After multiple failed attempts, he finally got one right and he beamed at Talia who blushed in reply. He was happy until he took in the state of the kitchen. A pixie would have given him mischief award of the year if they saw this mess. The white walls were stained in many places in yellow. The tables were covered in sugar and flour. Had he even needed those? Vegetables were scattered around on the floor.