Epilogue

“Rex!” Emily screamed with agony and regret as Bel pulled her into the Portal behind her. The last thing she saw before her world went black was the pain in Rex’s eyes as he lunged at them and she knew it would haunt her forever.

 “Rex!” Emily screamed as she jerked upright on the bed she lay in. She clutched her shoulders and drew her knees to her chest in a failed attempt to get Rex’s expression out of her head. A sound of something falling caught her attention and she turned to see what it was.

A white mouse with a piece of cheese in its mouth froze and stared back at her, its little whiskers twitching ever so slightly as it prepared to bail if she turned hostile. Emily watched, amused as it backed away slowly, its eyes still trained directly at her.

“Boo!” she cooed and the rodent scurried fervently out of the room through the slightly opened wooden door. It poked its head in the door just enough to hiss at her but ditched when she widened her eyes.

Wait, wooden door?

Her depression momentarily gone thanks to the white mouse, she took stock of the room she was in. It looked like she had walked into a time machine and shot herself back in time.

The floors and walls, (which were completely bare), were made of stone. The only thing in the room was the king sized bed she lay in, which was surprisingly clean; given it looked like no one had been in the room in years.

She looked down at what she was wearing and strung out a series of curses that would have earned her a decade of grounding. She was dressed in a brown gown that had frilly ends at its arms and skirt.

She would have ripped it apart if she could find some jeans to wear but alas; empty room equaled no clothes. That was when she realized someone had to have changed her clothes. If it was that fake Rex by any chance, she would kill him; well, she was going to kill him either way but she would make it painful if it was him.

She got off the bed and walked over to one of the windows in the room. Her breath caught when she stared down at the town below her. It looked exactly like those cities she learnt about in History class; complete with the surrounding wall but no moat unfortunately.

The building she was in stood at the centre of the city and was also elevated higher than the others. After a while of thinking, she remembered that it was the castles of the kings that was situated in that location.

Which brought her, her next series of questions; Where was she? Who brought her here? And why was the surroundings around the city completely charred.

As if to answer her, the mouse poked its head by the side of the door and squeaked up at her.

“Hello again,” Emily greeted and mock bowed to the rodent. I must be losing it. I’m talking to a rodent.

The rodent set one leg in front of the other and returned the bow to her pleasant surprise. Now, she wanted to catch the little bugger and see what else the seemingly intelligent creature could do.

She dropped to a low crouch and stalked slowly towards the interesting creature, giggling at her own weirdness.

The rodent saw her coming and dashed out of the door. She excitedly gave chase, and they ran through a very dusty hallway to a winding flight of stairs, which the rodent surprisingly jumped two at a time.

It was quite narrow but she ran up it and soon entered a small room at the top of the stairs. The rodent jumped through the single window in the room and she almost felt bad for sending the creature to its death, but it stuck its head up the window and “beckoned” to her with its whiskers.