Chapter 15

The crashing walls covered the ground air with dust, cutting off Rex’s line of sight. He did not notice the swirling brown dust around him as his body trembled with excitement.

He hopped on the Rx and pumped it, ignoring Emily’s screams for him to slow down. A few meters into the mist, he saw what he had been hoping for. A large chunk of the wall had fallen in an inclined plane, making for a perfect ramp. Rex grinned as he raised the front of the bike and got on the ramp. The Rx flew out of the mist, and Rex smiled at the sight of the setting sun, lighting the horizon in a red flame.

Rex focused on his target and grinned wildly at the sight. The vamp had chosen to stay in a very Transylvanian looking castle. Beyond the mist was a completely open stretch of grassland, used so intruders would have no place to hide. What drew his attention though, was a sea of multiple colors that did not belong with the grass. The colors shifted in the wind and started moving quickly in his direction. Rex saw the heads of the wolves at the front of the pack and shouted happily to the heavens as the Rx fell back into the mist.

They broke out of the dust to meet a snarling wolf lunging at Rex. Rex rose up the Rx in reply to the threat, and smashed the front wheel against the wolf’s mouth. The sniveling wolf crumpled to the ground as Rex screeched the bike to a halt in front of its body.

Rex looked away from the fainted wolf to the thirty or so wolves, growling menacingly at him.

“I don’t suppose you’ll just let me pass now, would you?” Rex joked at their advancing forms. “Well,” he cooed, as he brought out Azrael and Appolion, “I guess that wouldn’t just be any fun,” he screamed and felt Emily’s hug loosen up as he did a 360 degree grind just for the heck of it and pumped the Rx with its front wheel raised up towards the pack.

Three wolves rushed towards his advancing form, and Rex grinned as he turned sharply, making the Rx spin as it twirled to the advancing wolves. They lunged at him in unison, using a pincer strategy, so he had no way to escape. Rex laughed as he pulled the brakes for the front wheel sharply, causing the back to jerk up quickly and smack one of the wolves in its jaw, sending her flying. Rex saw a wolf coming from his right and stuffed Azrael into its mouth. Using the added force from the spin, he spun the wolf, and crashed it into the third, with so much force they both went to dream world.

Rex jumped of the spinning bike and landed in front of the snarling wolves, with Emily by his side. He looked at her impressed by her valor as she pulled out her daggers and got into a fighting stance. Rex tapped Azrael against his head and beckoned to the wolves with a wave of his hands, “Come get it.”

The howled in anger as they rushed towards him and Rex shouted with excitement as he followed suit. The sunset cast a fiery shadow over the field as the two parties lashed. Rex ducked under the first attack and shot the diving wolf its stomach, sending it flying a few feet into the sky. Rex rolled over another wolf as he jabbed it at the back of the ear, causing it to crumple to the ground, and jumped into the heart of the pack.

A spell of silence passed as the ones not fighting Emily (which fortunately was the majority) formed a circle around him, growling deeply. The stillness was shattered by a drop of rain that fell on Rex’s hair. It trickled slowly down his face, somehow upping the immense tension and fell off his cheeks. Time dragged on forever as the drop made its way to the ground, then finally broke into many pieces; it’s glittering droplets reflecting the forms of the charging wolves.

Rex somersaulted and stomped the face of the closest wolf to the ground. Without a microsecond to spare, he jogged it back up and kicked it towards a group of wolves. With those ones stalled for about three seconds, Rex spun quickly, as he dodged the charge of a wolf and blasted it in its belly. The blast of the gun roared in tandem with the excited heavens as the clouds rumbled loudly, and lightning illuminated the scene for the heavens to enjoy.