Chapter 19

Liz dived to her right and successfully evaded the blow. Rex, however, was slowed by his injuries and opted to block with Michael. The tip of the spikes stabbed Michael, saving Rex from being impaled, but the impact flung him back out the door he had come in through. He hit the sharp of the staircase and his ribs cracked from the pressure.

Rex cried ‘oof’ as he fell and cursed at his state, “Damn it, I keep getting flung today. I swear I’m gonna throw whoever owns that hand to space.”

Rex stood up angrily, dragging Michael behind him, with a blood thirst that would scare away most adversaries. The room was a huge underground bunker with anti-bomb walls painted white. When Rex entered the room, he looked to his right and saw Liz staring wide eyed at something. Rex followed her line of sight and his blood thirst immediately disappeared, replaced by an emotion which should never be found in a battle.

Humor; a lovely emotion that everyone loves but does not belong in a place of death. Rex covered his mouth as he tried to hold in his laugh but failed miserably as he fell over and rolled on the floor, clutching his sides. He laughed so hard his broken ribs pierced some organs and he coughed up blood.

“Rex!” Liz shouted, “Stop laughing. It’s not that…” Liz could not finish her sentence because she had to cover her mouth to stop the chuckle that was bubbling to the surface.

Their irrational behaviour was credited to the guards blocking a massive door at the other end of the hall. They were both tough Cyclops as big as giants but they were nothing like the usual Cyclops. The funniest thing about them was that they both wore sunglasses or rather sunglass which looked bulletproof to protect their greatest weak point. They wore tailored, striped, black suit jackets on white shirts and a black tie. However, they simply wore a fur skirt on their bottom. Instead of the usual clubs, known to be Cyclops’ choice of weapons, one of them was holding a tank sized 80’s machine gun, while the other wore spike knuckles and held an axe. Believe it or not, the Cyclops with a machine gun was actually smoking a human sized Cuban cigar.

“Damn it,” Rex squeaked as he struggled to control his laugh, “trying to kill us with jokes just ain’t right,”

In reply, Knuckles swung down his axe and Rex rolled out of the way, the attack jarring him back to his senses. “Thanks a lot,” Rex said, “I coulda died if you had not swung at me.”

Liz glanced at Rex with a worried expression; she knew his injuries had not fully healed but she doubted he would let her fight them alone. “Hey Rex,” she started but when he looked at her with excited eyes, she knew she had lost the argument before it began. Instead she said, “Be careful, they seem strong.”

Rex grinned and gave her thumbs up. He thought for a second and asked, “Do you have a chain in that bag of yours?”

Liz cocked her head, stunned by the request but shrugged and pulled out a chain from her bag. “Olympian,” she said as she handed it to Rex, “tough enough that Hercules can’t break it. What do you need it for?” she asked curiously.

“Don’t know yet,” Rex said as he wrapped the chain on his shoulders, “Dmitri once used them against a giant he fought and he told me they’re indispensable when fighting big opponent.” Rex turned to the Cyclops and laughed, “Sorry for the wait. Let’s get started.” He said and he and Liz split up and he headed for Smoky while she took Knuckles.

Smokey acknowledged Rex’s challenge by pointing the big ass nozzle of his gun at Rex and pulling the trigger. Rex stopped and a black disc flew by where he was supposed to have been and pasted itself on the wall.

“That was only a greeting,” A loud gruff voice said and Rex realized with horror that Smokey had talked. Cyclops are typically known as wild bloody creatures and keeping one as a guard was already scary enough. A Cyclops that could talk meant it had intelligence and that meant none of the usual cliché tricks would work. Though the intelligence explained the glasses.