Chapter 29

Rex felt somewhat odd waking up from a decade of oblivion with the memories and feelings of two parts of him with many differing opinions. However, the one thing the two minds seemed to have agreed on was the safety of a girl named Emily.

He sunk deep into his thoughts and dragged out all the feelings his counterparts had held for the girl, hoping for some answers. However, the torrent of buried emotions flowing beneath the surface overwhelmed his still fragile mind and he snapped to reality as he took a long breath to steady himself.

“You look like you’ve been hit by a truck,” Nathan said and Rex turned to the Valkyrie his friend was riding on.

Talia and Liz lay on Behemoth’s back while Rex stood on its head and Dmitri was only one or two leagues ahead of them, in the forest where he had fallen.

“It seems they held great affection for this Emily,” Rex said, ignoring his friend’s comment.

“You love her, don’t you?”

Rex blinked rapidly as he gaped at Nathan in surprise, stunned by his words. “L…Love?” he stammered.

“Typical. You can raise pillars of flames but you’re still a blubbering kid when it comes to girls,” a familiar cheery voice called behind them and Rex turned with joy to see Dmitri swooping down onto the back of one of the closest Valkyrie escorting him.

The vampire’s wings broke off when he landed and he took in large gulps of air in an effort to get back his strength.

“We were coming to help you,” Rex chided with a small laugh.

“Help?” Dmitri snorted, “I don’t need…”

His words died on his lips when he saw Rex’s eyes and really noticed he was not flying on a larger Valkyrie but a hell beast instead.

“Well, that’s a new look,” he muttered.

“A humble Dmitri; now, this is a sight that anyone would come back from the dead to see,” Rex chuckled.

“Hmph,” Dmitri scoffed, “You guys don’t need to come. I can save Em all by myself.”

“And he’s back,” Nathan sighed.

“Shut it, baby face.”

“Yeah, if I am then why are you following us, you could have gone on your own.”

“’Cause I don’t have an in built GPS system like Rex does. Dude can find anyone he has known for a while anywhere,” Dmitri snickered.

“So he’s like a dog?”

“Yup, only way better; he doesn’t need smell or anything. It’s like his instinct is on ten cups of coffee, four power bars and crack all in one.”

“How do you know all that?”

“Well, I’ve hung with him for a while now, so it’s hard not to pick up on something like that.”

“Rex, do you really know where we’re…” Nathan paused when he saw the distant look in Rex’s eyes. “Rex?”

“Seems to be thinking real hard about something. I don’t think he even realizes we are here anymore.” Dmitri said, “Think it’s about Em?”

“The brunette? Maybe. Then again, he just got a huge download of memories so he might still be sorting them out.”

“Download of what?”

Nathan spent the rest of their flight over the clouds explaining the parts of Rex’s past that he knew, and the demise of the Rex that Dmitri had known. Dmitri just listened with his eyes downcast and a shadow of grief settled on him when Nathan finished.