Chapter 23

The screen flashed white for a second, then the image of Omega sitting in a living room, next to a fireplace came into focus. He seemed to look straight at Rex and had an expression he could not readily identify.

“If you’re seeing this, then you either died horribly or stupidly decided to release your seal. Either way, you’ve embarked on a journey you will definitely regret; both now, and when you wake up from this nightmare. However, every man has a right to know his past. Therefore, before we go to your own personal memories, I’ll show you how it all began…”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

18 years ago

Elysium (Planet of the Shinigami)

The city of Caeli was the headquarters of Shinigami around the world and also home to the great council members; the men and women who made the laws and passed judgment on the Shinigami. The buildings were mostly made from bricks and stood next to each other on paved roads which were frequented by men on horses or carriages going to their various destinations.

“No! You can’t take her, I will never allow it,” an aging old man in black robes refuted loudly. He was tall for his age and still had a full head of flaky white hair. His emerald green eyes flashed with anger as he blocked the door to his house.

“You don’t have a choice Alv, the Council has summoned her” a man in white robes replied. He stood with three other men and their faces were covered with the cloth, revealing only their pale green eyes.

“Those fools don’t know what they’re dealing with. It will never work!” Alvin screamed.

“It’s okay father, I shall do my duty,” a soft voice called behind him and Alvin turned to see his daughter smiling at him. She was at the peak of her beauty with her tall, slim figure and beautiful fair skin that had made men offer for her hand in marriage. Her straight white hair fell down to her waist and her vibrant green eyes shone with mischief.

“No, Lidia, this is one time you can’t convince me,” he stubbornly disagree.

“You can’t hold me down either,” she laughed as she hugged him and kissed his forehead, “you’ve gotten old and soft.”

“Lord knows why that happened,” he chuckled sadly. “Do be careful now; those men are trying to play with powers beyond their understanding.”

“I’ll be fine,” she replied, “I’m the daughter of the White Flame right?”

“See you later dad,” she said and followed the robed men into a carriage.

----

Lydia knelt in the middle of a magic circle with closed eyes and her hands placed together in prayer. She knelt in the middle of a large hall with rows of chairs circling around her, rising in height from the front to the wall. Men and women, clad in black stood in front of their seats humming continuously and a man stepped in front of her with his hands raised.

“Welcome, brothers and sisters. We stand here to herald the birth of the greatest being in all of the realms. Standing behind her, we shall finally undertake our greatest feat; the eradication of every and all of those wretched Underworld and rule over the Chosen.” the man said and the chant continued.

A mass of dark clouds slowly formed above Lidia and continued to spread around the room until there ws simply no vision at all but they did not stop their chant. It rose to a high fevered pitch and the clouds began to spin in place, forming a small wind storm in the room that threatened to blow the congregation away but they held their grounds and increased the tempo of the chant. Yellow lightning struck out from the clouds and fried one of them but the men continued without stopping.