^epilogue^

young and beautiful: lana del ray

will you still love me
when i'm no longer young and beautiful
———

9 years later

"What are you too doing out here?"

The Daeng-Summers's children whipped around to see their mother, Maxine Daeng-Summers, standing a little ways behind them, her hands on her hips as she stared at them. Jean Marie Daeng-Summers was the oldest and only daughter of Maxine and Scott while their youngest, Alexander Charlie Daeng-Summers was their only son and two years year than his sister, who was seven.

After their wedding, Maxine and Scott decided to retire from the X-Men, especially after they found out that Maxine was pregnant. They moved out to a nice house out in a suburban like neighborhood with a nice open backyard.

"Watching the sunset, Mama." Young Jean said. Both the children were sat on top of the brick fence all the way at the back of their backyard. Jean keeping Alexander from falling off by putting one of her arms behind his back.

Maxine smiled and chuckled at her children as she walked closer to them to join, claiming over the brick wall to sit next to her daughter. They had peaceful silence as the three of them watched the sunset together before the mother spoke.

"Your Aunt Jean did that for you, you know."

Her two kids looked over at her as Alex asked, "She did?"

"She did. She made that sunset just for you." Maxine smiled at her children as she pulled her son onto her lap and her daughter into her side as she hugged them. "Your Aunt Jean was one of the best people I have ever met. She was my best friend and my sister. And I know that she loves you two with all her heart. So she made that sunset just for you too, so you know that she loves you without even saying."

Scott walked into the house, having just come home from work, shouting, "Kids! I'm home!"

When he was met with nothing but silence, he started to look around. Even after all these years, he still had his visor on. The same one that Maxine called him dorky for. He looked around the house when he noticed the back door to the backyard was open. He stepped out and saw his wife and children, sitting on the brick wall, their backs to him as he walked towards them.

Jean and Alexander had asked before why part of Mommy's hair was white and why they hadn't ever seen Daddy's eyes without his fancy glasses. And before the school system could fuck up with explaining what mutants were, they did it for them.

Scott didn't ever demonstrate his abilities as he doesn't want to accidentally hurt them or the house but Maxine does by making a small ball of red energy in her hand. Needless to say, the kids love her ability and ask her to show them off daily.

As Scott got closer, he could hear his wife talking, "You two are named after two people who sacrificed their lives to protect the ones them love. They were the bravest people your dad and I ever met."

"I thought I'd find you three out here." Maxine turned to see her husband walking towards them with his hands in his pockets. He hugged her from behind, placing a kiss on her cheek as he listened to the children groan at their sappy parents, the two adults chuckling at their kids reactions.

"Shouldn't you to be getting ready for bed soon?" Scott asked them as Maxine looked at them expectantly, pretending as if it wasn't her who kept them out here instead of bringing them inside for teeth brushing.

Wordlessly, both kids hopped down from the brick wall and ran to the house. Maxine called after them, "Go to bed or I'll sell all your toys."

Maxine hopped down herself before wrapping her arms around her husbands neck and giving him a proper kiss, away from the prying eyes of their children.

"Hi." She said pulling away, placing one more quick kiss on his lips as he smiled.

"Hey. You coming?" He asked as he pointed to the house with his thumb.

She thought for a moment before saying, "In a bit."

He muttered a reply as he looked at her one last time before chasing his kids into the house.  Maxine looked fondly at her family. She wouldn't give this up for the world. She never thought this would ever be possible when she got her mutation, when she lived on the street, when the kids feared her at school, when she got hit by the solar flare. But her she was. With everything she always thought she could never have because of what she was.

The dark haired woman looked up at the sunset for a second before she spoke to nothing but the yellow and orange sky, "Thank you, Jean. For protecting me all these years."

She almost could have sworn she saw a phoenix far out in the sky, making her smile before she turned back to her house and walked in.

Vote and comment!❣️