131045

Emma peeled back the curtain and looked into the dimly lit room. "Conny?" She asked. She walked in, holding her toy rabbit. She gasped as she saw her dead body on the table. Then a demon came from behind about to eat her. She gasped and quickly woke up. A few hours later, Emma was setting the table for breakfast. "Good morning!" A small kid said as he ran in. "Hey, Phil! No running in here!" Gilda said. "And this goes there?" He asked Isabella. "Yes that's right." She said. Emma gasped and turned around to see Isabella. "Can you finish setting the table for me?" Isabella asked. "Sure thing mom!" A kid said. Isabella smiled and chuckled. Emma gasped. Then saw you and Norman walk in with two young children. He smiled and waved. "Hi, Emma. Morning." He said. Norman walked over. "Come on, smile." He said.

Time Skip

"Listen Emma, we have to act like nothing happened. Sure we might have broken the rules by going to the gate last night, but that doesn't mean we saw anything." You said. "But we left Little Bunny there." Emma said. "That's right. And we have to assume mom found it. But that doesn't tell her anything about who left it behind." Norman said. "Mom was laughing at breakfast. She doesn't show it on her face at all." Emma said. "And that's what we have to do too. Otherwise she'll notice that something is wrong. We can't let that happen. So smile." You said. "The delicious food. The white clothes that show when we're dirty, our well regulated lives, all of it is to keep up our quality of lives as merchandise." Emma said. "The only thing left for us to do is wait while we're shipped out randomly." Emma said. "But the demon confirmed it wasn't random. He said another six year old. They've all been average lately." Norman said. "What's it mean?" Emma asked. "Based on what the demon said, our ages determine their grades of meat. And if I remember correctly, the siblings who were shipped out before, we're all between six and twelve. And if six years old is ranked at normal, then the highest quality must be..." You said. "Twelve years old. But what about our scores? Meat won't start tasting better because of how well it did on some test, will it?" Emma asked. "True. Results weren't announced unless we received full marks. Which means..." Emma gasped. "The shipping order?" She asked. "Yeah. When we turn six, we're harvested in order from lowest test scores up. And once we reach the age of twelve, it seems we get shipped out no matter what." Norman said. "So, we were exempt from it because we got perfect scores on our test?" Emma asked. "But I still don't get it. Why do our scores dictate the order?" You asked. Norman took out a box. "And what do you think being between six and twelve is what matters?" Emma asked. "Is it the size of our bodies?" Emma asked. "It can't be or else we would be a factor." Emma said. Norman gasped. "It's our brains." He said. "That means..." Emma said. "That the brain must taste the best. And the more developed it is, the better." You said. "They eat... brains?" Emma asked.

"Seems so. And they'll spend a lot for them. Which makes us valuable merchandise. Remember the order? Conny was shipped most recently, before her was Hao, and Ceddy before him. Following the cycle they've used so far, the next shipment should be at least two months from now. Which means the three of us have to come up with a way for all of us to escape from here before then." Norman said. The three of you walked to the small fence. "We'll start by making a rudimentary map of the site. The house is in the middle, lined up with the gate. And the forest encircles the rest of the property. So which exist do we choose for our escape? The gate? Or the forest?" Norman asked. "I'd say the forest. The gate's always closed except for when they're shipping. And when it's open..." Emma said. "Those demons are there." You said. "So when do we try to escape? During the day at playtime? When we're able to get out of the house freely? Or during shipping when mom's-" Emma interrupted Norman. "We can't wait to do it during shipping! That plan means someone we love dies!" She said. "You're right. And I'm also worried the younger ones won't be able to stay awake during the night." Norman said. "It's decided. We'll escape during the day through the forest." Emma said. "If that's possible." You said. "That depends on what things are like beyond the forest." Emma said. The three of you jumped over the fence and ran straight to a large wall. "Huh?" Emma asked. She gasped as she saw you climbing a tree. "What are you doing?!" She asked. You yelp as your foot slips and you fall. "(Y/n), are you okay?" Emma asked. "I guess I must be tried from thinking too much." You said. Emma chuckled. "All right. Guess it's up to me." She said. You chuckled as Emma climbed the tree. "So, is something there?" Norman asked. "Nothing. The wall looks about two or three meters thick. The top of it is pretty high up." Emma said. You and Norman walked up to the wall. "But there are no guards." You said as you listened. "It's quiet." Norman agreed. "Emma, what do you think?" He asked as Emma walked up to touch the wall. "It was built sturdy. I don't see any rough edges or seams." She said. "And the surface is smooth. There's no way someone could climb this." Emma said. "Then, should we just give up?" You asked. "That's what it's meant to make us think, but if it was you, me or Norman, climbing this wouldn't be a problem with a rope." Emma said. "I don't sense any demons. Only mom's watching us. So there's no need to be scared." Norman said. "Hmm." Emma nodded. Suddenly a bell began to ring.