27- Andrew

"Happy Birthday!"

Only years of practise stopped Andrew from jumping as soon as he had opened his bedroom door. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes to see a set of rather gruesome faces. One was pale with the flesh disfigured and contorted into a rictus grin. The second was a classic monster mask with green skin and large fangs. The third, which was probably the most amusing, was the cliche werewolf mask. Completer with fur and a blood covered muzzle. He stifled a yawn and leant against the door frame with a amused smile. "Alright guys. You can take them off now. I'm not scared", he chuckled.

"Shame", Lucas commented as he pulled off the werewolf mask. Tobias wore the green mask while Even had the corpse one. All of them grinned at each other widely.

"Told you these weren't scary", Even huffed.

"On the next birthday Andrew can choose the masks", Tobias remarked as he gave his mask a disgusted look. "Come on Andrew, we've been waiting hours. Breakfast is getting cold". Andrew stood straighter at the mention of food and followed the three of them downstairs. The kitchen isle had four plates set out with bacon and scrambled eggs. A box of cupcakes sat in the middle.

"What type are the cupcakes this year?" Andrew asked as he sat down. Lucas passed him a mug of tea and he inhaled the scent greedily. After a particular messy incident a few years ago they had forgone the usual idea of a birthday cake and now each of them had a particular pastry for their birthdays. Andrew always liked cupcakes so he got a box of them. Even would have donuts on his birthday. Lucas had ice cream, while Tobias always got a jelly. It worked and they rotated who organised them each year. It was tradition, just like surprising the birthday boy with masks. One of their silly traditions just for the band. A tradition which never failed to make Andrew's heart swell with friendship.

The four of them were a family by themselves. They didn't need anyone else.

"It's chocolate with blackcurrant icing", Even piped up over the rim of his coffee mug. Andrew nodded as he dug into his breakfast. For a while there was only the sounds of clinking cutlery. Then Lucas turned on the radio and the heavy guitar of Don Broco filled the kitchen. Andrew bobbed his head in between bites until the food was gone and his tea was half finished.

He opened the box and they all grabbed a cupcake each. "Happy birthday to you", Tobias began, completely out of tune. Andrew placed his head in his hands as Even and Lucas joined in. The simple song transforming into something wild and more like a operatic seal than the original tune. Andrew was sniggering into his hands, shoulders shaking as it finally ended.

"That was terrible", he announced. "I thought you guys were dying cats". Lucas put a hand to his chest and swept his arm out as he bowed.

"Oi", Even snapped as Lucas' arm hit him in the shoulder. He slapped it away and smiled at Andrew. "Try the cupcake Andrew. I want to hear your review".

"I'll go and get your presents", Tobias volunteered. He stood and disappeared back upstairs. Lucas began filling the dish washer while he was gone. Andrew unwrapped his cupcake and took a bite. The flavours sweet and pleasant.

"Nice", he commented as he chewed. "Definitely a flavour worth repeating".

Even punched a fist in the air in triumph, almost knocking over his coffee mug. He yelped and cradled it protectively. The rest of them laughed.

The rest of the morning was a languid affair spent in the living room. Andrew's favourite show, buzzfeed unsolved- paranormal, was playing quietly on the tv. The sound of dishes clattering in the kitchen as Lucas cleaned up from breakfast. The families all called. Sally calling first and all four of them speaking to her for almost two hours before she had to go. Lisa and Dominic, Tobias and Even's parents, called only for a short moment to wish him a happy birthday. They wished to call longer but didn't have the time but they promised to call again on Sunday. Andrew's dad called but he hung up pretty fast. Andrew tried not to let that get him down.