09- Even

Jacob and Embry were nice guys. They seemed friendly, if a bit disconcerting. Even was relishing the fact that Jacob seemed to have a thing for Tobias. The tall boy had barely taken his eyes off of his brother, much to Tobias' chagrin. Even had to stop himself from giggling as Tobias tried not to fall back asleep. Hangovers, not matter how light, always made him sleepy. On the sand, Embry and Andrew seemed to be having a similar situation. Even and Lucas exchanged looks and rolled their eyes.

"So Jacob, Embry", Even spoke up. Both tanned boys glanced at him. "Are there any good places around here? We haven't explored much yet".

"You guys just moved?" Jacob asked. Even nodded.

"Yeah. We have the house between here and the Cullen's property". Something in the boys' faces changed at the mention of the Cullen's. Even watched as they exchanged looks, a message being passed between them. Even was intrigued.

"The one in the forest, about ten minutes away?" Embry asked. Andrew nodded and something of relief seemed to flit across his face.

"Our territory", Jacob muttered, seeming pleased. Even caught the words and Tobias raised an eyebrow.

"Your territory?" He repeated with a unamused expression. Jacob grinned at them sheepishly.

"Yeah. It's nearer to the reservation than the town, so we sort of count it as being within the tribe lands", he explained. There was something missing from the explanation but  Even didn't know what to ask.

"Whose the girl in your group?" Lucas asked. He was looking back at the rest of Jacob and Embry's friends. They were watching them. Embry turned and pulled a face at them.

"Who Leah?" Jacob asked.

"She's staring at me weirdly", Lucas said. He seemed unusually shifty about it. He had dated before, hooked up and flirted. But for some reason, he seemed shy almost. Even crowed with glee as he spotted the red tint to his cheeks. This didn't happen often but when it did, it was amazing. Prime drama.

"Lucas has a crush", he sang. Lucas scowled at him.

"On Leah?" Embry and Jacob laughed. "Oh man good luck. She crushed the last one to ask her out", Jacob chuckled. He gave Lucas a pitying look.

"That's so hot", Lucas sighed with a dreamy expression. "I'd thank her if she even spoke to me".

Tobias poked him in the head with the tip of his boot. "Get a grip Lucas. We don't need to see you drooling". Lucas swatted at him defensively.

"I'm no drooling".

"Yeah and Obama is white", Andrew smirked. Embry coughed to hide his chuckle.

"You guys are so mean", Lucas whined. He curled up into his coat, pouting. "To be betrayed by my own brothers like this. A tragedy". Even and Tobias grinned at him.

"You deserve it", Even replies teasingly. Lucas stuck his tongue out at him.

"You guys are brothers?" Jacob asked. He looked at them.

"Na", Tobias answered. "None of us are related. Even is my little stepbrother"-

"I'm taller than you", Even pointed out.

"We're all childhood friended though. Basically brothers". Jacob nodded at Tobias' explanation.

"Cool. Where do you come from?"

"Ashland, New York", Lucas answered.

"Hey Jake, Embry", a voice called. There was the sound of running footsteps and they all turned. The rest of the group down by the shoreline had split up. Most of them had walked off into the forest on the other side of the beach, disappearing into the trees. Three of them however, were walking over to them.