15

Nothing was clicking for Jersey. She stood there blinking away as her eyes kept analyzing the white paper card in her hand.

I heard about what happened. Get well soon.

I love you.

- Tilly.

It didn't take her long to connect everything. Tilly was the Latina police officer, the one she had an encounter with at Malcolm's bar. She was also the same cop who managed to ask her questions regarding Rudy's death.

Her chest tightened as a cloud of curiosity and betrayal circled her mind. She wanted a full explanation. She had the intention to toss the potted plant out of the window. Instead of doing that, she just set the plant on the nearby table and diverted her attention over to the men who were having a mild conversation.

They kept their discussion quiet, trying not to talk loud enough for Jersey to hear. She also realized they tried speaking in codes as if she wasn't fluent. She tried her best to listen in a while, occupying herself with the drawer attached to her table.

"What do you know so far?"

"Shit." Malcolm cursed, leaning his head against the sofa, and hunched his shoulders stiffly. Talking to an outsider wasn't his thing. However, he didn't see Kareem as an outsider. From what he could understand, Kareem had dealt with Seema in the past, and he'd heard that she was the cause of Malcolm's injuries.

Things were getting pretty serious, which meant that Malcolm would have to increase his security. He couldn't risk getting hurt again, and most importantly, he didn't want his family to end up hurt.

"Not too much..." Malcolm trailed off. "Just some nigga in a hoodie telling me I fucked up. He mentioned Catcher."

"Catcher?" Kareem's eyebrows hiked up in recognition. "I know that lil' nigga. He fights over at Newts."

"And he also works with her." Malcolm added, referring to Seema.

Kareem scoffed while rubbing his hands together.

"How you want to handle this shit?"

"I want them killed." Malcolm blurted out without hesitation.

Kareem glanced over at Jersey, who was busy rummaging through her drawer. He didn't like doing business in front of women. Having Jersey around did make him a little uneasy.

"Aye, it is what it is." Malcolm pushed out, causing Kareem to look over at him. "All I can do right now is heal and stay low, but I want them handled."

Kareem nodded his head in agreement. "You do that...and work on bulking up your security. That bitch is not playing with you."

"I'm already on it."

The men finished up their conversation, and Jersey ended up locking the door behind the mysterious yet handsome man. She placed her eyes on Malcolm, who was busy gnashing his teeth while holding his stomach.

He's in pain.

She walked into the bedroom and grabbed his medicine off the dresser. When she walked into the living room, Jersey handed them over and watched as he tossed the two tabs back with his water.

"T. gifted you a small plant."

Malcolm held a grimace on his face as he eyed her thoroughly. "What?"

"You heard me..." She trailed off, walking into the kitchen. Jersey made her way inside with the small plant. "Tilly sent over a houseplant, or is she your bitch?"