8

Follow me on Twitter: BrownNovelist

It was early, approximately around eight in the morning. Malcolm parked his Jaguar over by his favorite Jamaican restaurant. He figured it would be cool near that area. He looked in his rearview mirror and noticed Arthur pulling up behind him. Instead of waiting, he hopped out of his car and fixed his clothes before proceeding to walk.

A couple of old brownstones were nearby. They'd managed to stay up for many years. The buildings were raggedy and most of the tenants had problems with their rented space. Rodents, faulty leaks, faulty electricity, robberies, and so much more.

According to the news, there was talk about renovating the buildings, but Malcolm didn't think it would happen. It was a black community and most of the tenants were either of color or black. White people didn't want to help them. No matter how many complaints were reported.

Malcolm made his way inside with Arthur right behind him. He didn't want to risk his boss going by himself. He was well-known and the area would be too much of a danger for him alone.

They made their way up the stairs since yellow, barricade tape covered the elevator and there was an out of order sign attached to the door.

They took many stairs until they made it on the right floor.

"Damn." Arthur breathed out. Little sweat beads covered his forehead as he looked around with a frown on his face. "All these fucking stairs. She better be here."

"Tsk..." Malcolm pushed out as he continued his walk. Climbing the stairs didn't bother him at all. He worked out daily, which was something Arthur didn't do.

When they made it up the stairs, the pair headed for the designated door, Malcolm brought his fist up to knock.

Knock, knock, knock!

It took a minute for the door to open. When it did, the smell of Lysol kicked Malcolm right in the nose. He noticed a teenage girl standing at the door with a broom in her hand.

Her eyes were slanted and uninterested until she placed them on the 6'5 man who stood at the front door. Quickly, she tried fixing her bonnet and the large t-shirt that covered her upper body.

"Malcolm..." She trailed off. "Why are you here?"

Malcolm didn't know the girl, but he wasn't surprised that she knew his name.

"Is your moms here?"

"Uh, y-yeah. She's getting ready for work. Hold on, I'll go and get her." The thin teenager took a few steps back and said, "Come in."

Malcolm stepped inside the apartment with Arthur right behind him. He wasted no time checking the area out. The outside of the Brownstone was a total mess, but he noticed how well-kept the apartment looked.

The inside was spotless and filled with decent furniture. The air smelled like nothing but citrusy lemons and oranges. The floors were so clean and shiny, while the walls were filled with family pictures.

"Who?" The thick voice called out from the back of the apartment. "He's here now?"

"Yes, mama!" The teenage girl tried whispering.

"I'll be up there in a minute. Let me finish getting ready."

It didn't take the older woman long to make her way to the front. Malcolm held his Blackberry in his hand as he scrolled through a few messages from his accountant regarding his money. Instead of thinking about that, he decided to tuck his phone away and place his eyes on the woman who stood before him.