6

Professor James was a piece of work. In other words, she was annoying as hell. Jersey closed her notebook, ready to shove it in her bag.

"It looks like we're partners."

She looked up and noticed Gabriel standing in front of her. Jersey's eyes darted around the lecture room. Her fellow classmates were exiting the room, ready to cool their brain off.

"That's what I read in the email." Jersey replied sarcastically as she stood up to leave. "The project is due by the end of this week. I expect us to start soon because I don't want a failing grade and my want my conscious to be clean before the start of Thanksgiving."

"Hey, I understand." Gabriel concurred as he followed her outside. "So, where do you want to meet up at?"

Jersey turned around to cast him a look. Gabriel seemed to be biracial. She could tell he had some mixture between two races—African American and Asian. His slanted eyes, wide nose, and those brown yet thick lips gave it away. He had those big curls that looked soft and bouncy.

"We can meet up here...at the library, tomorrow at four." She responded coolly with a smirk on her face. Allowing Gabriel into Malcolm's apartment was an automatic no. She didn't want to put him in that kind of situation...or danger.

Gabriel licked his bottom lip as he nodded his head. However, his attention was on his phone. "Alright. See you tomorrow then."

Jersey pushed out a breath of relief as she stepped outside. Doing group projects wasn't something she wanted to indulge in. However, it was worth twenty-five percent of her grade, so she had no choice but to participate. The whole class had to come up with a PowerPoint presentation on law. Of course, Jersey and Gabriel were given common law. They would have to define the word and explain every single thing about it. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, not ready to start the project. Her anxiety grew as she thought about it.

"I need to take my medicine." Jersey said to herself, walking toward the truck. Instead of paying accurate attention, she ended up colliding with someone.

"Excuse me, sorry." She muttered under her breath. Jersey realized she had pushed some unknown girl, causing her to waste her drink on her grey shirt.

"Damn, watch where you're going!" The girl bellowed, wiping her shirt off. She was upset and her friends who circled her knew it. Their mouth gaped open; they were surprised by the situation that took place.

Jersey stopped dead in her tracks and looked over at the girl. The unknown girl's face was fixed into a frown as she swiped her long weave back.

"I just said I was sorry."

"And you heard what I said. Watch where you're fucking going! You made me spill my drink on my shirt."

Jersey looked down at the can and noticed it was a Sprite. She sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes toward the sky.

"It's Sprite, which is clear...not a Fanta. It'll dry."

The girl's friend tried making the situation worse by being dramatic. However, Jersey didn't care about that.

That bit of boldness caused Jersey to experience some adrenaline with a mixture of anxiety. She continued her step all while hearing the girl shouting more nonsense.

__________________________________

"So, we're not going to spend Thanksgiving together?"

"I didn't say that, Jersey." Preach replied as he bit into his apple.

He watched his sister's shoulders dropped as he delivered the news to her. He didn't plan on staying the whole thanksgiving break with her.