Chapter Twenty | Jasper

Catching sight of the small flush on Killian's cheeks, Jasper barely resisted the urge to smile. Instead, he narrowed his brows into a frown. "Chris, Harley, run ahead and get Cohen to gather whatever medical supplies he's got. Killian's going to need it—so will I."

Chris reluctantly followed Jasper's instruction, but Harley nodded. "You got it, boss." Chasing after his friend, who looked like he'd rather be anywhere else but with the patrol.

Turning to glance at Killian, Aubrey smiled. "I guess it's my job to help?"

"Actually, no." Jasper murmured softly. He nodded towards the direction of where Chris and Harley went. "I trust Harley enough, but Chris has been taking shots at Killian ever since he got hurt," He paused for a few seconds, "Harley usually follows his lead. We've got no idea what Chris will tell them. I need you to run ahead and make sure he tells the truth."

"You'll be left here all alone though." Aubrey protested.

Cutting her off before she could argue any more Jasper said, "I know how to use a gun, Aubrey. We'll be alright."

Holding his gaze for a long time, Aubrey finally sighed, "Okay then," She gave Jasper a quick nod. "Just try not to get any more hurt than you already are." To Jasper's dismay, her eyes floated towards Killian. "He needs to get to the house as soon as possible. He won't be standing for long."

It had taken Jasper a very long time to accept just how bad Killian's leg was. There wasn't a hole all the way through, but a shotgun packed a lot of damage, even from a far distance. The realization that Killian could possibly have a permanent limp hadn't crossed his mind. He'd been in denial of Killian possibly catching a fever as well. It seemed like the closer they got to home, the closer Killian was to giving up. "I know. I'll carry him."

"Not where they can see," Killian protested. It amazed Jasper just how stubborn the man was, even potentially on death's door.

"Look Boy Scout," Jasper tried to be as gentle as he could, but at this point he wasn't sure he could be. "You're not walking for much longer. The more you do, the weaker you'll get. Sometimes you've got to swallow your pride, kid."

Staring up at him with those beautiful hazel eyes, Jasper could see just how frightened Killian was as soon as Aubrey had left. After a few moments of hesitation he nodded, laying his head against Jasper's side. Bending down, Jasper scooped Killian up as gracefully as he could—it surprised him how light Killian weighed—careful to avoid the wound that was growing worse and worse by the day. "Alright kid," He said softly. "Let's go home."

The walk through the woods and into the field was rushed. Jasper wanted to get Killian safe as soon as possible, but also to warn the group about the people they had encountered. Killian was growing more and more feverish, his face pressed into Jasper's neck, seeking comfort. There had to definitely be something wrong with him, he'd never done that before—well, not that affectionately. "I know, we're almost there." Jasper soothed when he noticed Killian was getting restless. It was almost as if Killian had started to give in to whatever pain he was feeling as soon as he knew they were almost home.

When Jasper finally reached the porch steps of the farmhouse, Tom, Cohen and Darren had already made their way out. "Come on, let's get him to the den so I can check over him." Cohen said. The doctor didn't seem shocked, but Tom did—Darren's face went pale.

"What the fuck happened to him?" Darren whispered urgently.

With all of the sudden commotion, Killian's exhausted eyes opened and his brows narrowed, a confused frown on his lips. "Jasper, what's-"

"It's alright, we're home now." Jasper soothed. Killian's eyes drifted closed again. As he made his way through the house, Jasper had to weave in between the other group members, who stared with widened eyes. Even Casimir paused, then moved aside for Jasper. "Some assholes on bikes decided it'd be a good idea to shoot his leg with a shotgun."