Chapter 20

Kara's pov
I woke up the next morning at 8:00am. It was late compared to the time I usually wake up. I remember the nightmare I had at night but I was glad Jared was here for me. Today I'm going to Harry's .I've missed them but I'll be starting school on Monday and today was a Sartuday. I had to sadly go for school shopping.
         I did my normal morning routine. You know, bandaging this wounds is a handfull. I got dressed, grabbed my money and got out of my room. The house was quiet. Too quiet. Either, Jenni told them the truth or they are just out somewhere or probably asleep. I choose the later.
         My outfit

I went downstairs, looking to see if everyone was home. I saw Jeff in the kitchen. "Good morning Jeff. ". As soon as I spoke he turned around. He looked surprised. "Good morning miss."
       "Do you want me to help you with breakfast?? "I asked him. I love cooking and it likes me so...
"Oh no miss. I wouldn't want to trouble you. "He said smiling. Aww, he's a sweet man.
     "Oh don't worry. I would love to help. I insist. "I told him and gave him a real smile. He was shocked to say the least. To make matters worse, I laughed at the  look on his face. 
       "Y-you h-have a wonderful laugh miss. "He stuttered out looking flustered. "Thanks Jeff. "
    We finished making breakfast. He told me that the aunts, uncles , grandparents and cousins were still here. Okay, I didn't  expect them to still be here. I just shrugged it off. Everyone was already in the dining room.
      Jeff was acting a bit odd when announcing that my 'family' was still here. I decided to be more generous today and help him set the breakfast on the table. I am carrying some bawls of crepes, waffles and fruit which I had a small fight with Jeff because apparently I'm carrying a hravy load. *Cue the eyeroll*.
       So I prepared myself for the insults from the family but imagine my shock when I went to the dining room and saw them looking sad for some reason. I mean they looked like shit. Some looked like they didn't sleep. I looked at Jared and he had this look in his eyes. It was like he was blaming himself but for what.
        I don't think  they noticed me until I leaned over to placethe bowls at the center of the table. I had to stretch over cause the table was huge. I think I over did it because pain shot through the left side of my back since it had a bit of weight. I winced a bit too loudly making everyone's attention turn  to me.
          The bowls were about to fall so placed down the other one on my right hand and quickly tried to place down the others. Keyword:tried. Another pain shot through my back opening my eyes in pain. A hand helped me out while gently rubbing my back. It felt nice so I relaxed. I traced the hand to find Jonah. I was confused. Thought he hated me.
        It must have shown because he gave me a pained smile. At I narrowed my eyes the pain forgotten. I snapped out of it muttered a small thank you and took my seat next to Jenny. She looked guilty. Okay somethings up. They started eating but I got occasional stares here and there. It was awkward to say the least.
        There was no banter like last night. Somethings not right and I knew Jenny did something since she kept avoiding my gaze.
     I fully turned to her, my eyes hardened and arms crossed around my chest as I glared at her.
      "Jenni, " I stressed out her name as she turned her head to face me and flinched knowing what's coming next. 
   "What did you?" I asked her. She quickly averted her gaze.
  "Um nothing. Why would you think I did anything, " she said nervously laughing at the end.
   "What. Did. You. Do. "?I said while narrowing my eyes at her .She winced again at my tone.
       "Ikindatoldthemaboutourpastandshowedthemyoursketc hbookasevidence, "she said while laughing nervously at the end.
I cleared my throat, "Come again. Slower please. "I said to her.
   "Um I kinda told them about our past and showed them your sketch book as evidence, " she said averting her gaze yet again.  I was drinking some water at the time so imagine my reaction. 😲 yep you guessed it I spit out the water and started coughing uncontrollably.
     I mean I did tell her she could tell them after I came back but not this soon. By this time I had tears in my eyes and the lady cousin was gently patting my back. I thanked her and turned to Jenni with wide eyes. It was quite a site. Jenni looked at me and decided to break the silence.
     "You have tears in your eyes. It's the only time we'll ever see miss Kara cry. Better take a picture to show our grandkids. Heehe hheee. " Jenni said while taking out her phone.
    I just looked at her flatly. If that was meant to lighten the mood then it didn't work at all. She noticed it and just looked at her plate while giving me side glances.
        I was angry but I remained calm but my body was not having it. I just hummed and proceeded to eat my breakfast.
  "You are not angry ,are you?? " Jenni asked me softly. I just continued eating.
"Caught me of guard that's all. " I replied.  I mean I wanted to lash out at her but I know she did it so I can have a family. Which I don't know if I 'll accept .
          "Um Kara give me the knife. " Jared said looking scared. I looked at him confused only to see that I 've been murdering the garlic bread.
        I just gave him the knife. Vince cleared his throat and I knew what was about to come.
    "On behalf of the family I'd like to say sorry for our actions. We just jumped into conclusions as sometimes we tend to rush things in order to protect our family. I know you don't trust us but we'll help you every step of the way. Well take you to have one of our clinics to be checked out. It'll take time but please forgive us tesoro,"Vince said and I looked at them studying them to see if it was sincere. It was. But that doesn't mean I'll just jump in their arms.
     "Look, I understand that you wanted to protect one of your own but please collect proof before making assumptions. You are right I don't trust either of you but you'll have to earn my forgiveness and trust. That's how I'll know that you accept me as your famiglio. Excuse me. " I excused myself. I can't trust blindly. I know it seemed rude but if I shatter again then how will I come back in one piece as luck isn't always on our side?