(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟔) kennedy

Start from the beginning

It depicted a skull with a snake coming out of its mouth. Athena knew exactly what it was. It was the dark mark. It meant Kennedy was a death eater.

"I backed you up" Athena scoffed, "I told everyone that you'd never be one of them... I trusted you"

"Please Rena" Kenny grabbed her arm as her robe hid the mark from view.

"No" Rena shook her head, feeling close to tears herself... "this isn't you"

"I know it isn't" Kennedy hissed, "that's what I'm trying to tell you?"

"What?" Athena frowned,

"They made me do it" Kennedy whispered... "my parents... they told me they'd... kick me out... pull me out of Hogwarts... it was awful Rena they used the—"

"Cruciartus curse" Athena muttered with a small nod,

"And I know what you're thinking... Sirius went through the same and didn't join but he's stronger than me Rena... you have no idea how much it hurts"

"I thought you had to be seventeen to join?" Athena asked,

"I will be in November" Kennedy shrugged, "they were making sure I went through with it... I met him"

"Voldemort?" Athena gasped, "what's he like?"

"Awful" Kennedy sniffed, "terrifying"

"Can you get out of there?"

"Not anymore" Kennedy sobbed, "they've stained my skin... that's a permanent mark... there's nothing I can do to remove it"

"That doesn't define you... we both know you're not really one of them"

"I have to hang around with Avery and Mulciber because... their with him too... we have a job of trying to recruit others",

"What about Snape has he joined?" Athena asked tentatively.

"Not yet but he will" Kennedy sighed, "Regulus has joined"

"Yeah I know" Athena sighed, "look we can go to Dumbledore"

"If they find out I did that they'd kill me Rena" Kenny pleaded, "look there's nothing I can do I just... I needed someone to know that I'm not really one of them.... everyone will find out eventually".

With that the girl broke down into tears. Athena hugged her quickly and felt her body shaking lightly against hers. She felt broken. Rena had never seen her like this before, she always seemed so strong and fearless. Now it was as though she was the opposite.

Athena had always been so sure that Kennedy wouldn't become a death eater however she'd never taken into account that the girl wouldn't be given a choice. If she had been Rena knew she wouldn't take it.

She knew Kennedy even if everyone assumed the worst of her. Athena knew that wasn't the truth. Even though the mark she'd seen on her friends arm had made her feel slightly sick. She wasn't going to leave her.

☽☽☽

Athena pushed past the portrait into Gryffindor common room with a weird feeling rooted in her stomach. She'd vowed not to say anything about Kennedy and she knew she was going to stick by that.