chapter seven

chapter seven: the monster

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Luke Pov    

I stood on the black mat in the middle of the training room, my red saber ignited and ready to strike, but something was wrong. Ever since I had spoken with Soyara about the rescue of Han, I hadn't been able to shake the memories of each of them from my mind. Despite all my training over the past three months, they still lingered in my mind, almost as if they never left.

     Darth Vader swung his lightsaber at me, coming in for a strike, but I was caught off-balance and fell to the ground as a result. Once I had fallen, Vader retracted his blade, "Son, is something wrong?"

      I shook my head, not wanting to explain my distraction, "No, father. I just—," I started to think up a lie. Blast, if only Han or Soyara were here. They'd have a good one.

     "This is about your friends." He drew out the last word, displaying his displeasure at my lack of focus. "The smuggler in particular."

     I sighed, "Yes. I received word that Han has escaped from carbonite on Tatooine."

     The Sith lord hummed, "Hmm. How unfortunate. I can see that you are clearly distracted, so we will end training for today. However, I expect you to meditate on this issue. Remember, my son, not to let your guard down, especially for your friends. It could cost you your life." He walked out of the room, leaving me to meditate.

      Meditatation looked different since I had become a Sith apprentice under Vader. It was more focused on the emotions I was feeling and using them to find my way in the Force. I had started to get the hang of it, but sometimes it was hard to determine false visions from real ones.

      After a couple minutes, I felt my muscles tighten, and my eyes flewopen. Someone's nearby. I leapt to my feet, cautiously scanning the room for any sign of another being. When my eyes finally landed on Soyara's short frame, I sucked in a breath.

      She let out a small chuckle, "Nice place. Looks like you've got all the toys."

      I shrugged, "Yeah, but it doesn't compare to one-on-one combat training with you back on base."

      She grinned as she ignited her cyan sabers, "You're on."

      I was the first to strike, my blow to her midsection was blocked by her sabers. She threw my blade off and began an attack that utilized one saber to draw my block to one side while she really went for the other. It nearly worked, until I pushed her back with the Force. She raised an eyebrow and came at me a little harder. She acted like she was going to attack above my head but slid under my legs instead. Her laugh rang out as she had me on my knees in an execution position. Like we always used to do, I raised my hands dropping my saber, "surrendering".