chapter twenty

chapter twenty: the apparition

☆☆☆☆☆☆

When I awoke, I immediately noticed the familiar feeling of sand blowing across my face. I slowly rose to my feet, allowing the sand to roll off of my black robes which whipped fiercely in the wind. I used my gloved hand as a shield to block the sand from blowing directly into my eyes. Just off in the distance, I was able to make out the igloo shape of a hut, much like my childhood home back on Tatooine. With no other options and the tell-tale signs of a sandstorm beginning to brew, I made my way towards the hut.

Without warning, the wind began to pick up, forcing me to the ground a handful of times before I finally reached the structure. However, once I entered the house, I immediately recognized the hut as the one place I had fought so hard to leave. Home. The scorch marks on the wall were the only reminder of what had happened that fateful day just over two years ago. Sand covered the floor from where the house had been left abandoned. I swallowed hard, trying not to think of the tragic atrocities that had occurred here. I squeezed my eyes shut as I sunk to my knees, unable to block out the traumatic memory of finding Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen burnt alive in their own home as the dark smoke that had billowed out of the house could be seen for miles. A hot tear trailed down my left cheek as a hand gently rested on my shoulder.

In an instant, I spun to face the assailant, reaching for the lightsaber on the right side of my belt. In the dark, I couldn't see the stranger, but when I tried to grab a hold of the hilt hanging from my belt, I realized its absence. My eyes grew wide as I thought of my next move. I could lose him out in the storm if I chose to run at that moment. No one else knew Tatooine sandstorms quite like I did.

Before I could make a run for the entrance, the stranger spoke up, "Wait, please." I paused, taken aback by the familiarity in the stranger's voice that I couldn't quite place, "We both know going out in that storm is a death sentence, and I'm not going to hurt you." The room was suddenly filled with a blue light as he ignited a lightsaber of his own. I took a closer look at the stranger and stumbled back a few steps. He had sandy blonde hair with blue eyes, and if I hadn't already identified him from those features alone, the familiar clothes of a farmboy native to Tatooine would have been enough to remind me of the boy I used to know. I didn't even have to ask who this stranger was. He was the one who plagued my dreams, the one who terrorized my concious thoughts. This apparition was none other than Luke Skywalker.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked, my voice lacking its usual authority.

He didn't answer as he stared back at me with a unamused glance. His silence signaled to me that he had no intention of answering my question.

I repeated myself, raising my voice in hopes of getting a response, "Why did you bring me here?!"

Softly, he replied with a sigh I interpreted as disappointment, "Because you need to remember."