chapter three

chapter three: the lies of the Jedi

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

By the time I reached the Millennium Falcon, I was able to compose myself, trying to push the encounter far from my mind. However, all my efforts were for naught as Luke's X-Wing came into view. Immediately, my mind flashed back to a happier time, when Luke and I would squeeze into the starfighter for missions together. The smile on my face lasted but a moment before I was forced to push it to the back of my mind as well.

On the ramp of the Falcon stood Leia and Chewie, already in their disguise as bounty and bounty hunter. Leia pulled back the mask to speak, "About time. Chewie and I were starting to worry."

I shrugged, suddenly self-conscious of how my hair was probably a mess from the ride here. I started to explain my time at Luke's former home; but I decided against it, knowing that the news would only be a distraction on this mission. I'll tell her later. Instead, I quickly made the excuse of a malfunctioning brake pedal in the speeder. Both the Wookie and the Rebellion hero bought the lie as I handed her a commlink, "I'll be on standby. If I don't hear from you by morning, I'll speak with the Hutt myself."

"Alright." She pulled on the headpiece and and pulled out the binders that would go over the Wookiee's wrists. He growled deeply, showing his disapproval of this idea.

I chuckled, "I know, buddy, but remember, this is all for Han. I'll see you tomorrow. Stay safe." I wrapped him in a hug before clamping the cuffs over his wrists. I then turned to Leia and gave her a last hug as well, "May the Force be with you." She only nodded as she led Chewie to the speeder that I just brought back to the rendezvous point. Before taking off, she gave me one last wave.

Once again, I was left alone. I made the small trek out to Luke's X-Wing and climbed into the cockpit. I didn't take off or even touch the controls. I simply relaxed in the seat, thinking about all the times we'd gone on missions together and we'd both had to cram into this small seat. I chuckled, remembering a certain mission to Kimiji, where we had to recover a stolen encryption module from a Rebel defector. In order to make it look like there was just one of us, we had both piled into this X-Wing. If he hadn't been my best friend, it could've gotten really awkward.

•••

"Come on. I don't like this either, but we both agree it's the best plan we have." Luke persuaded me to climb into the cockpit.

"I hate it when you're right." I mumbled as I started climbing the ladder.

"Which is always." He joked.

I shot him a look and then rolled my eyes. "Alright, scoot over Skywalker." He glanced at me, slightly confused.

Finding some sudden confidence, he cheekily suggested, "We both know that we won't fit like that."