chapter six

chapter six: the guilt

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On the way back to the Millennium Falcon, a sandstorm had started to brew, making it near impossible to see, much less steer. By the will of the Force, we made it back the ships safely, Leia opting to stay with Han, giving me Luke's X-Wing to pilot back to base. I got Artoo hooked into his position in the X-Wing and started to climb the ladder to the cockpit when Han called out, "Soyara, wait."

I turned around and slid down the ladder. "Look, I know it must have been rough coming back here after all this time, but," he rested a hand on my shoulder, "thank you, sis. Now I owe you one." I wrapped my arms tightly around him.

"You would've done the same thing, but just with a worse plan." I messed up his hair like he so often did to me.

With that, we both parted ways to our respective ships and took off as quickly as we could in order to escape the rapidly growing sandstorm. Once we reached the edge of the atmosphere, the Millennium Falcon jumped to lightspeed to regroup with the fleet, however, I hang back for a moment when I felt a shiver run down my back. Oh no. Not now.

"Is that my helmet?" I heard his voice crack.

"Yes, this is your helmet and your ship, Red Five." I replied dryly, not once looking up from the controls.

"Where are you?" He questioned.

"Classified. Where are you?" I fired back.

He sighed in defeat, "Classified." I was about to jump to a random system to throw him off, but before I punched the hyperdrive, he just audibly asked, "Did you get Han out?"

I finally lifted my gaze up from the console for the first time. I saw his head is lowered, and he looked as if he was in pain. He's hurting because he believes it's his fault that Han was frozen. I gave him a small smile, "Luke, you should come back and see for yourself. He doesn't know yet, but I would assume Leia's filling him in as we speak—" Luke didn't even acknowledge what I had suggested, so I said gently, "We got him out. He's safe."

Luke looked up to meet my gaze. A single tear rolled down his cheek, "Thank you."

Suddenly, he was gone and I was left alone in the atmosphere surrounding Tatooine. From where he was hooked into the X-Wing, Artoo chirped, Master Luke? I nodded, "Yeah, Artoo. That was him." I was told he was gone. I chuckled, "I thought he was gone too, but," I spared one last glance back at his home planet, "no one's ever really gone."

I punched in the coordinates for Sullust and made the jump to lightspeed. I watched as the blue streaks of stars and light fly past me. Even after a lifetime of travel, light speed always seemed to amaze me. Before I could dive into that thought, I was jolted out of light speed as the Rebel fleet massing around Sullust came into view. Artoo chirped slightly, We are receiving a transmission. "Patch it through, Artoo."