50 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Serena's POV:

        Spells were being shot everywhere. Draco and I are at the top of the marble staircase at the Entrance hall when giant spiders and dementors enter the battle. "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" I yell and my badger bursts out of my wand. "How do you do that?" Draco asks. "Just think of something that makes you really happy and say 'expecto patronum'," I say. Draco closes his eyes and says, "Expecto Patronum!" A dragon flies out of his wand and joins my badger in fighting the dementors.

         "I thought Deatheaters weren't capable of producing patronuses," I say. "I thought so too," said Draco. I make a mental note to ask my aunt about this later. Suddenly, Draco pushes me down the stairs. When I land, I look up to see Draco shooting a killing curse at a Deatheater. He rushes down the stairs and says, "That stupid Deatheater was trying to kill you. Sorry I pushed you down the stairs," Draco apologizes. "Well- falling down a flight of stairs is better than dying, right?" I joke. He gives me a small smile and we rejoin the battle.

        Sometime later, a high pitched voice starts speaking. The battle stops as the voice says, "You have fought valiantly.  Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do notwish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat, immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured. I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather thanface me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have notcome to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself,Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman and child who has tried toconceal you from me. One hour."

        Dread fills me because I knew that Harry would do this for us. "He's going to do it. He's going to go to Voldemort," I say quietly. "How do you know? He might not," Draco says. "No. He will. Because Harry is like that," I say. "Well, if Potter does, that means we all fought for nothing," Draco says. "Let's go to the Great Hall. Everyone'll be there," I suggest. Draco agrees and the two of us head toward the Great Hall.

        I join the Weasleys in the Great Hall. I watch as Mrs. Weasley lay across Fred's chest and as Mr. Weasley cries. George is crying the hardest. Everyone had lost something whether it was a child or sibling, but George had lost his other half. I would never be able to understand how that felt. I hug George as he cries into my shoulder. I was crying silently as well. It felt like the world has fallen apart.        

        "I heard he gave his life to save you," Ginny says. "He did. He shouldn't have," I say quietly. "Is it because you think your not worth it?" Luna asks gently. "Yeah. But also because you guys need him. George needs him," I say. "We need you too. It doesn't matter anymore. Fred made his choice. We just need to make sure that his choice wasn't for nothing," Ginny says fiercely. Mr. Weasley joins us. "So many people lost. Lupin, Tonks, Fred," he says. I look out the window. I see a group of people coming. "They're coming back," I say, getting up quickly. The others follow my lead. Neville grabs the Sorting Hat and Draco grabs my hand. People start heading outside.

        Once everyone was gathered outside, Voldemort speaks. "Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down yourlives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone. The battle is over. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you and the BoyWho Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman orchild, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle, now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live, and beforgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

        I notice Harry's limp body in Hagrid's hands. "NO!" Ginny yells. "Silly girl. Harry Potter is gone. From now on, you'll have to put your trust in me," Voldemort says.

       "Draco!" Lucius says. "Come over here," Narcissa says. Draco glances at me with worried eyes. "Ah, Draco, my boy. Come over here. Bring your little friend with you as well," Voldemort says. Draco lets go of my hand and walks over to his parents alone. Voldemort embraces him in a hug but Draco does not hug him back.

        BANG! I look up. Neville had shot a spell at Voldemort. "Ah, Neville Longbottom. You're a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" Voldemort asks. "So what if I am?" Neville shouts. "You would make a valuable Deatheater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom," Voldemort says. "I'll join you when Hell freezes over. DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY!" Neville yells. "Very well. If that is your choice, then be it," Voldemort says. Voldemort flicks his wand and flames surround Neville.  Voldemort turns back to Draco. "Did I not say to bring your friend with you?" Voldemort asks. He flicks his wand and I am forward against my own will. "Serena McGonagall. Another pureblood. Perhaps you will choose a path different from the one your friend Longbottom chose?" Voldemort asks. I avoid his gaze. He raises his wand and I feel my head move. He looks into my eyes and memories of Cedric, Harry, and Fred flash through my mind. Stupid legilimency spell. "Ah. Cedric Diggory was your friend. And Fred Weasley died for you? How... brave. I see that you aren't willing to join me either. I guess we'll have to dispose of you too," Voldemort says. "No!" Three voices rang out. My aunt, Neville, and Draco. I turn around to see that Neville was no longer covered in flames. He reaches into the Sorting Hat and pulls out the Sword of Gryffindor.