24 - Creating Dumbledore's Army

Serena's POV:

It's Saturday and Hermione asked me to meet her in Hog's Head. "Why Hog's Head? No one ever goes there." I pointed out when she asked me. "Exactly. Also, don't bring anyone with you," she says.

So here I am, walking alone to Hog's Head. I enter the old pub and there's already a group of people there. I join the group and wait for Hermione, Ron, and Harry to start talking. We all stand there awkwardly as Harry and Hermione talk in whispers.

Then Hermione starts talking and explains what they are planning to do. Then a Hufflepuff says aggressively, "Where's the proof that You-Know-Who's back?" Hermione began to say, "Dumbledore believes-" "Dumbledore says so because he says so." the boy says, gesturing at Harry. "All Dumbledore said was that Cedric Diggory got killed by You-Know-Who and that you brought Diggory's body back to Hogwarts. He didn't tell us how he got killed and I think we'd all like to know. So tell us, what really happened to Diggory." the Hufflepuff says. Harry sends me a worried glance. He opens his mouth, looks at me, and says, "I don't want to talk about Cedric Diggory alright? So, if that's the only thing you're here for, then you might as well clear out."

No one does anything and then Susan Bones asks, "Is it true that you can produce a Patronus?" Harry nods and other people start chiming in. "And did you kill the basilisk with that sword in Dumbledore's office?" "And in our first year, he saved the Sorceror's stone from You-Know-Who." "And he got through all the tasks during the Triwizard Tournament last year!"

Harry starts being modest and starts saying how he got lucky or how he always had help. "Yeah, well the point is are we all agreed on taking lessons from Harry?" Hermione interrupts. We all agree on meeting once a week and Hermione says that she will inform us where it will take place once she has decided. "Alright, er, I think everyone should write their names on this parchment so we know who's in. But as soon as you sign, you are agreeing to not tell anyone else, especially Umbridge." Hermione says, taking out a parchment and quill. Fred, George, and Lee sign immediately. I wait for them to finish, then Luna, Neville, and I sign the paper. Everyone else was hesitant.

"What if someone finds the paper?" someone says. "Do you really think Hermione Granger will leave such an important paper lying around?" I say. Hermione gives me a smile. When everyone had signed, Hermione takes the parchment and carefully places it in her bag. Then everyone starts leaving the pub.

"Well, that went well." I point out. Hermione smiles. "I'm surprised so many people are interested! It's actually quite nice doing something so rebellious," she says. Ron looks at Hermione in shock. "Well, I should get going," I say, heading out of the bar.

The following week, Umbridge put up another educational decree. I roll my eyes as Filch puts it up. I read the statement: All student organizations, groups, and activities are disbanded. Permission to take place again must be approved by the High Inquisitor. Any students found participating in an unapproved group will be expelled. I head back into the common room to find Ron, Hermione, and Harry. "We know," Harry says when I told him. "Now we really need a place where no one will find us. Check the Mauraders map, Harry. Are there any secret rooms?" Hermione asks. Secret room. "That's it!" I say suddenly. "What?" Ron asks. "The Room of Requirement!" I say. All three of them look at me with confused looks on their faces. "Cedric showed me it last year when I helped him train for the last task. We dueled in there. And then after he... died, I kind of went in there and yelled at a picture of him. I was crying in there for hours." I say. "So it's a room for... yelling at pictures?" Ron asks. I roll my eyes and laugh. "No! It's for whatever you need. So you can think, I need a place to sleep and then it will become a bedroom for you. But if we think, we need a room to train and duel thirty people that is hidden from Umbridge, I think that it will turn into that!" I say. "Where is it?" Harry asks. "Seventh floor. I can show you." I suggest. "Okay, let's go right now," Harry says.

We stand in front of a wall on the seventh floor. "Think of what kind of room you want. Focus on that one thought." I instruct. Harry squints his eyes shut. Then a door appears. I open the door and walk into the room and Harry follows me. The room was spacious and lit with torches. The walls were lined with bookcases and shelves and there were large silk cushions on the floor. "This is perfect," I say. "Hey, um, Serena?" Harry asks. "Yeah?" "You know how that git, Zacariah Smith was talking about Cedric's death? i couldn't say what happened because you were there but I've thought about it and I think you should know. Because you were his best friend and I kind of want to tell someone." he says.

I sat on one of the cushions. He sits down next to me. He starts telling me what happened. "I ran into Cedric in the maze and we both saw the cup. We ran for the cup and then the vines grabbed him. I saved him from the vines but now I'm starting to think I shouldn't have. Maybe if I had left him there, he would still be alive. But we reach the cup, he tells me to take it because I saved him. I thought that we should take it together because either way, it would give Hogwarts the glory. If I wasn't so modest, he would be alive right now. But the cup was a portkey and a trap. We touched the cup and we were brought to a graveyard. I recognized it and I told Cedric to run back to the cup. But Voldemort was already there. He had no use for Cedric so he told his servant to kill him. He made me fight but because our wands share a core from the same phoenix, the ghosts of the last five people he killed appeared. Cedric was one of them. He told me to bring his body back to his father and to apologize to you. I made a run for it and I barely made it out alive. And now I'm being treated like I'm mad by people like Malfoy and the Ministry." I'm quiet for a really long time.

"Who was the servant that killed Cedric?" I ask. "Wormtail. Or Peter Pettigrew." he answers. "I'll kill him myself then." I announce. "I don't think Cedric would want you to have that type of stain on your conscience." Harry says. I'm quiet again. "You care a lot for Cedric right?" Harry asks. "Of course. He was my best friend. How would you feel if you lost Hermione or Ron?" I ask. "I guess I'd want to kill whoever killed them." Harry says slowly. "But you're right. Cedric would never want me to do that for him." I say. "If you could bring him back, would you?" Harry asked. "Only if he wants to come back." I say.