3 - Charms

Serena's POV:

          The next morning, Hermione woke me up and we went down to the Great Hall together. There, McGonagall gave us our schedules. I checked my schedule with Hermione. "Looks like we have most of our classes together," she says brightly. "Oh, but we don't have divination and charms together." I point out, feeling upset. "Don't worry, you'll probably have it with Ron or Harry," Hermione reassured me. "Yeah, you're probably right."

         She wasn't. I had charms third period and walked into a classroom full of Slytherins. Professor Flitwick stood on his desk and said, "Alright everyone. We will be doing something different this year with the seating arrangements. We will be arranged in alphabetical order. There will be four or five people in a row." He started assigning seats. "Longbottom, over here. Malfoy, next to Longbottom. McGonagall, next to Malfoy. And Parkinson, next to McGonagall."

          I sat down next to Malfoy and Parkinson sat down next to me. I shifted uncomfortably. Professor Flitwick started to speak "So, this first week, we will be reviewing what we should already know. Then, after that, we will learn new and more challenging spells. Got it? Now up here" he signals to the blackboard "are the spells you will practice with your groups right now. Your groups are the people that are sitting in your row right now. I expect you to be able to finish practicing at least 5 of these spells. Help your group members in the areas they need help in. You may begin now."
I turn to Draco, Pansy and the other boy. I think I saw him in the Gryffindor common room yesterday so I smiled at him. "I'm Neville Longbottom," he says, holding out his hand. I shook it. Draco was staring at us with pure hatred. "Great now we're introducing ourselves!" he exclaimed, rolling his eyes. Pansy snickered behind him. Then Draco turned to me.

Draco's POV:
McGonagall shook Longbottom's hand and a wave of jealousy came over me. "Great now we're introducing ourselves!" I exclaim while rolling my eyes. I turn to McGonagall. "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." I say, sticking out my hand. "Yeah, I know that. I believe we've met many times where you rammed into me, insulted me, and told me I'd regret being in Gryffindor." she said. "Great memory you got there. Now are you going to shake my hand or not?" I ask. I really wanted her to shake my hand. She looks at my hand and after hesitating a little, she takes it and shakes it. Damn. Her hand was so soft and fit perfectly into mine.
We practice spells and she, surprisingly, isn't that bad. She mostly only talked to Neville though but I was happy to be in her group. Maybe all the teachers would use Flitwick's seating arrangement method. I hope they do. Wait. What the hell am I thinking? I don't like her. She's a Gryffindor. I'm a Slytherin. We're not supposed to associate. I needed to get my mind off of her and forget about her completely. And the best way to do that is through Pansy.
I wrap my arms around Pansy, who smirks. "So, McGonagall. Why'd you transfer here all of a sudden?" Pansy asked, desperately trying to get her attention. She turns around and notices my arms around Pansy. She gives me a questioning look as if to say I thought you could do better. Then she answers Pansy, "Well my parents are really protective and didn't want to put me in danger by sending me here. But then McGonagall had enough so she went and convinced my parents to let me come here and promised to keep me safe and everything." Pansy scoffed. I shot Pansy a look. "So what are your parents? Muggles? Are you a mudblood?" Pansy asked. "My dad is a pure blood and he's McGonagall's brother. And my mom is also a pureblood. Guess that makes me a pureblood. Not that it matters. I don't care about blood status. And neither should you or you." She says to me.
"Guess that makes you a blood-traitor." I say, without thinking. "What the hell is your problem?" she sneers. Shit. I didn't mean to say it out loud. "You are so mean and vile. No wonder you can only get a girl like Pansy. That's the best you can do because no one else can put up with you." She sneered and turned to Neville, ignoring me and Pansy for the rest of the period. What she just said hurt. Besides, it's not like I actually wanted to date Pansy.
In the hallways, I see her speaking to Granger. "What's up mudblood." I say to Granger. Granger rolls her eyes. I turn to face Serena. "Careful, you don't want this mudblood dragging you down with her." She opens her mouth to say something but then closes it and walks away. "You never have anything good to say, do you? If you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say it and shut the hell up." Granger yells in my face. Well that was nice.