Chapter 38 | Rotten

Start from the beginning

“I'm sorry, Harper.” I halted, but it didn't take a while before I continue walking away without answering what he said.

I just can't tell him that it's okay when it's fucking not, right?

It's not that I will go to their place. No. . . I'll definitely go. It's just that, I won't let them see me, nor even move closer to their place because every time, all I could think that it was my fault, the reason why everything fell into this place.

I was silent as headed towards where the backyard is, walking to the place where Dreyard mentioned that's where they are right now.

Habang palapit ay ang palakas nang palakas ang tibok ng aking puso at pabigat nang pabigat ang aking katawan. Para bang ayaw ko nang humakbang, ngunit gusto ko silang makita. . . kahit na hindi nila ako makikita.

Gusto ko lamang alamin kung ayos lamang ba sila kahit alam kong hindi.

There, I saw them surrounding a bonfire while praying. Right. If you can't bury their bodies into the land, you can put a bonfire to pray for their souls to be in peace, just like what they're doing right now.

After all, we don't have their bodies right now and we can't even do a proper burial for them, so it's the least thing we could do to pray for their souls.

Ngunit sino ba ang niloko ko nang sabihin kong ayos lamang sila?

As I saw them crying while hugging each other, which I couldn't help but feel my heart breaking into pieces while looking at them who's breaking in front of my gaze.

They were trained to be professional, I know. That's why earlier, even though they wanted to burst out, be enraged and cry, they held it inside and mourned in silence.

They acted tough. . . some remained acting tough. But right now, I could see the majority of them on their knees, breaking down and crying from what happened, for the lives we lost in that quick battle that happened in just a day.

And it's the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

And because I couldn't watch them longer, at how sorrowful they look right now that it's breaking my heart, I decided to go away and let my feet lead me in someplace.

Ngayon ko lang napagtuunan ng pansin ang kabuuan nitong bahay.

It looks like a mansion with concrete walls surrounding the area that aren't that tall— maybe only enough to pass a nine-footer person or such. Enough to stop zombies from entering the place.

The house is a mansion made of concrete too. As I've said that it's a mansion, it really is.

Malawak, may backyard na pinuntahan ko kanina kung nasaan sila at ngayon ay nasa harap ako ng parang hardin.

There aren't any railings the reason why I sat down at the end part of the tiled floor of the house.

Isinandal ko ang aking katawan at ulo sa haligi na aking nasa gilid at tsaka tumingala.

Thankfully, there are stars and the moon is shining so bright above the horizon.

Nakaramdam ako ng presensya sa aking likod na dahilan upang bumaling ako doon, kung saan bumungad sa akin ang babaeng tumulong sa amin kanina.

She peaks at their place— wherein this distance, I could still hear the burning of wood from that bonfire that remained to ignite hard, before she looked at me with such melancholy gaze and smiled sadly at me.

Maybe she knows what I'm feeling right now.

Loneliness. Grieving. Betrayal. Sorrow.

“Your name is Harper, right?” Panimula nya at naglakad palapit sa aking pwesto.