17 - On my own

Trey would rather have been driving to Sam's than to Weston. Ironically, it was Jessica who suggested his victory celebration. She was convinced he would make partner.

This was the rare case when there was a real victory. The child would be with the better parent. Although the financial settlement was a small percentage of his client's salary, it was more than anyone needed to live comfortably.

Trey arrived after both his father and wife. Jessica greeted him with a smile and a kiss on his cheek that made him cringe.

"Well done." His father shook his hand and patted him on the back.

He took the praise, because it was easier, but his mind was elsewhere. Sam knew if she was carrying a boy or girl. He looked at his mother and wished he could share his excitement. Instead, he sat through a tense dinner, which was supposed to be about his achievement. Instead, Jessica monopolized his father discussing her firm and cases.

Unfortunately, Jessica turned the spotlight back on him. "Now that you succeeded with this big case, you can start working for actual clients all the time."

"All my clients are real."

She sighed. "I mean billable ones."

His mother dropped her fork, and it clattered onto her plate. All six eyes turned to her. "Excuse me. Trey darling, I'm proud of the work you do for those who truly need you."

His father added, "I agree. It shows you're a good man who cares about others more than yourself."

The problem was, he cared about his brother and Tori too much. His work at Legal Advocates started out as penance for tearing apart his family. In time, it gave him more reward than his high-profile clients. In truth, he would like to donate more time and not less.

"He'll never make partner." Jessica scoffed.

His mother stood. "Shall I serve the dessert?"

Jessica nodded. "I have some work to do tonight. Tomorrow I'll be busy with my spa appointments."

Thank God. Trey wouldn't have to worry about spending the day with Sam. As equally pleasing, Jessica started her goodbyes immediately after dessert.

He didn't follow her. "I'll be home shortly." She scrutinized him. "I'm just going to visit with my parents a little longer."

As soon as she left, his mother asked, "Trey dear, are you alright?"

He nodded. "I'm fine, but I wanted your advice, Dad."

"Should I leave?" His mother looked from her husband to son.

Trey smiled and shook his head. "He'll tell you as soon as I leave."

"Drink?" Trey shook his head. The judge asked, "Do I need one?"

"No." Only if he planned to tell them about his lover and child. "The truth is, I'm contemplating leaving the firm. I'm considering my own practice. It would allow for me to continue the work I love."

"Could you be as successful without the backing of a large firm?" Vanessa asked.

He shrugged. "It's family law. I use very little resources."

The judge rubbed his chin. "We've always said your trust funds were meant to help you follow your dreams. Your brother's is teaching in Africa."

"I just want to practice the kind of law I'm good at and help people who need help."

His mother's face softened. "Will it make you happy? I know you haven't been for a long time."

He nodded. "I want to talk to Ted and get his opinion."