Chapter 1 *Birthday Surprise*

Kate's POV
Every birthday people always ask me if I feel any older. My reply was always no. But today I'm 16 and the weird thing is, I do feel older. I feel stronger and more alive. I feel like this year is going to be different, now that I'm 16 I can try to do the things that I was always afraid to do. Like driving a car, watching scary movies or maybe sticking up for myself when Meghan decides to start picking on me again.
I won't become an easy target anymore.
I smiled to myself as I crept downstairs. I went to the kitchen and opened the cabinets, scanning the shelves for my favorite cereal; Lucky Charms. I shook the box trying to get all the cereal into the bowl. Then I saw it, the thing I've always wanted, an iPhone. I laughed, tears running down my face. "Beep Beep Beep," I picked up the phone from my bowl and looked down at the text from mom. "Happy birthday honey," it read. I squeaked.

"Phew, I'm glad you poured the cereal first than the milk." I turned around, my mom was standing behind me laughing.

"Mom thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" I ran up and hugged her.

"I'm glad you like it," I unwrapped my arms from her waist and noticed that she had tears running down her face.

"Mom why are you crying?"

"It's just that my baby girl is so grown up, it seemed like yesterday you were riding your first bike. Dad would have been so proud of you!" she cried. My dad died a year ago, it's something I really didn't want to talk about.

I hugged my mom again, she was the only family I had. I was still hugging my mom when I glanced out the window, that's when I noticed him. My heart started beating fast, my hands starting to sweat. Ahead of me stood the most handsome guy I had ever layed my eyes on. He had black hair and his eyes were the prettiest blue I've ever seen. He looked like he was 18 years old. But something was off about him. He was just staring at our house and his shirt was stained with blood. "Mom! We need to help him, he's hurt!" I yelled. I ran to the door, my mom grabbed my elbow before I could open the door. "Mom! Let go of me, he's hurt we need to help him!"

"Kate, what are you talking about?" My mom asked.

"The guy on our driveway. He needs help!" I cried. My mom looked out the window than looked down at me.

"Kate, honey, there's no guy on our driveway."

"Yes there is! He's right over there!" I pointed at the window where the boy stood.

"Kate are you joking with me? This isn't very funny," My mom fumed, "there is no guy on our driveway!" my mom yelled.

* please vote and comment😁