April 1933

Things went back to how they used to be when we were humans between me and Edward but memories still remained of the time he ignored me. The whole family seemed calmer. My gift had got stronger still, and my eye colours now changed with my emotions all the time, which meant I couldn't go out in public that much, however there was so many colours we had started to categorize which emotion made which colour. We were in New York, Rochester, Dad was at work and Mum and Edward had gone hunting. I had chosen to stay behind, not being thirsty and knowing they would bring blood back for me anyway. They had been doing that a lot since I ran away, I think they were worried I would start screaming again and disappear for another week, which I had no intentions of doing. I was sitting in a tree round the back of the house drawing when I smelt it. Blood, human and fresh. I jumped down from the tree and walked into the house. As I shut the door I hears a loud scream. I ran toward the sound and found Dad sitting next to a beaten looking girl, she was screaming and I could see bite marks on her wrists and ankles and the edge of one on the neck.

“Dad?”

“Hello...” His reply was cut short by a scream from the girl between us.

“What happened?” I asked him.

“I found her in the road on the way home. I couldn't leave her there alone to die, it would have been such a waste.”

“I know. Who is she?”

“Rosalie Hale.” she started screaming then, begging us to kill her. I took a step back shocked. I know I had scream all sorts of thing while I was changing but watching someone else shout it was different. She turned to look at me and her violet eyes burned into mine.

“Please kill me. Please.” she begged.

“I cant.” I told her. She closed her eyes and screamed. I went to sit with Dad. He took her hand and apologised every time she screamed. He started to explain what we were and what she was becoming.

“She wont believe you Dad. Not until she opens her eyes.” I told him. About a day later, Mum and Edward walked in.

“Oh my!” Mum exclaimed “What happened?” Dad went through what happened quickly.

“What were you thinking, Carlisle?” Edward said “Rosalie Hale?” he said her name in an irritated voice.

“Edward be nice!” I scolded.

“I couldn't just let her die,” Dad said quietly “It was too much - too horrible, too much waste.”

“I know,” Edward said dismissively.

“It was too much waste. I couldn't leave her,” Dad repeated again in a whisper.

“Of course you couldn't.” Mum told him.

“People die all the time,” Edward reminded Dad in a hard voice “Don't you think she's just a little recognisable, though? The Kings will have to put up a huge search – not that anyone suspects the fiend.” Edward growled the end before walking out.

Rosalie didn’t scream all the time, sometimes she listened. At these times Dad would talk to her. On the final day I grabbed a mirror and ran into the room. Dad and Edward were talking.

“What are we going to do with her Carlisle,” Dad sighed.

“That's up to her,of course. She may want to go her own way.” I stood in the doorway looking in “Hello Elizabeth. Hmm, what did we say yellow eyes were for again?”

“Confused, Puzzled, Disbelief or Curiosity.” Edward told him.

“Well what one are you Elizabeth?”