May 1918

I was sitting in the hospital again. Against the nurses wishes again. Against the pleas of the family Nanny again. I say 'again' for I have been here every day, all day for almost a week, ever since Edward was emitted with the Spanish influenza. Father had already died of the disease and both Mother and Edward are both close to it. I can’t be left alone, what will I do? Nanny Mae will abandon ship as soon as Mother dies and I will be left alone at the age of 15.

While I was lost in my thoughts I didn’t see Edward begin to stir until he coughed.

“Edward!” I jumped up for the chair and ran towards his bed picking up a wet cloth and patting his forehead with it.

“You shouldn't be here Lizzy,” he chocked between coughs.

“Neither should you so hurry up and get better,” I replied as sternly as I could.

“I will try,” he said his green eyes burning into mine.

“Don't try, promise,” I pleaded my eyes filling with tears “How am I meant to live without you?” he grabbed my hand tightly.

“I will always be there for you Lizzy; I promise.” he smiled at me and I smiled back through my tears.

“I love you Eddie.”

“I love you too Lizzy.” he closed his eyes and fell back to sleep. I pulled my hand from his when his light snores filled the room and left, kissing his and Mothers foreheads as I went.

I exited the hospital and bumped into someone. I looked up to see the most handsome man I had ever seen Doctor Cullen.

“Oh I’m sorry Doctor Cullen I wasn’t looking where I was going.” I apologised.

“That's okay Elizabeth. Were you visiting your family?” he asked politely.

“Yes Sir, I get ever so lonely with just Nanny Mae in the house I just come to see if they are alright Sir.” I said remembering my manners in case he said anything to Mother.

“I understand Elizabeth, they are your family after all, and it’s only natural for you to worry. Now run along home before your Nanny worries too.” he said smiling at me.

“Yes Sir, Thank you Sir.” I said and hurried down the road towards my house.

When I got home Nanny Mae made me wash in boiling water 'to kill any germs' she said and then she fed me on a bowl of vegetable stew 'to keep me healthy so I can fight the germs' and then sent me off to bed. That night I had a horrible dream, Mother was standing there looking healthy again she waved at me and smiled before fading away to nothing. Tears started rolling down my cheeks and I started to run in the direction I last saw her. I stopped when I saw a figure ahead.

“Edward?” I asked apprehensively. The figure turned to show Edward but instead of the green eyes I was familiar with I was met with blood red eyes, he smiled and fangs appeared. I screamed and woke with a start shaking and crying.

I looked out of the window 'Early morning' I thought still recovering from the dream. I decided to get dressed to visit Mother and Edward early so that Nanny Mae wouldn’t moan. I dressed in my neat clothes and put on Mothers Locket before creeping down the stairs and out of the house then I began the 20 minute walk to the hospital humming quietly to myself. When I got to the hospital I saw Doctor Cullen walking out looking shifty and slightly guilty.

“Good morning Sir, have you finished your shift for the night?” I asked him cheerfully. He looked up and his eyes showed surprise and more guilt.