Chapter 21 - Trauma

The stunned human stared down at Frederick's corpse, burning the image of his blood covered face into his mind.

Luke had never been safe. He had always been warned of the horrors outside and sincerely believed he could hide from them. Yet here he was with the sickening realization that those very horrors were living with him all along. 

The rushing noise in his ears grew to a crescendo, blocking out everything else. Tears streamed down his face, and the corpses in the room became blobs at his feet.

Something touched his shoulder and Luke turned, blinking hard to clear his vision so he could see Nicholas standing over him with a look of concern. He was speaking, but Luke could no longer understand what was being said. As a matter of fact, it barely registered who this man was, because Luke was more focused on his fangs and eyes.

Abruptly, he stumbled off the bed and backed away from Nicholas who was holding his hands up as he continued to speak, unaware that Luke was no longer listening. The human then tripped when his foot hit the knight's arm, causing him to fall into the bloody mess.

The crimson liquid stained his palms and Luke opened his mouth to scream, but nothing came out. Just a hollow gasp as his body shook viciously. The Archduke attempted to help him up, but Luke flinched away and bolted out of the room, through the hall, and down the stairs.

He faltered at the back door when his panicked grasp was too weak to turn the knob. A few frightened squeals escaped him, and he sobbed against the wood as his bloodstained hands smeared the metal, then it finally opened and he escaped out the back of the house. 

Luke was a human, which meant he was nothing but prey to these creatures. He understood that now. It took him twenty years to learn this lesson, but it was one he wouldn't soon forget. 

Just before reaching the alley, a hand grabbed him and Luke let out a blood curdling scream.

Desperate to calm the man, Nicholas pulled him into a hug. The human's screams became muffled by the Vampire's shirt and he struggled, but his fear made his limbs weak. Soon, he started to sob instead.

Gently, Nicholas stroked the top of Luke's head, shushing him and rocking gently. Luke continued to weep until his body reached it's limit and he fell limp in the Vampire's arms.

When he next awoke, his head throbbed painfully. Glancing around, Luke realized he had been brought back to the mansion and was laying in one of the guest rooms. He was also wearing a puffy white nightshirt, though nothing much else. His mouth was dry and felt like it was stuffed with cotton.

"Sir Luke?" Called a nearby knight  with a shaved head and sharp face. He gave a short bow. "Shall I summon Master Nicholas?"

Luke tried to reply, but was unable to say what he wanted. After a few more attempts, he stared blankly at the Vampire who did his best to remain stoic, but eventually frowned in confusion. "I...Uh...I'll have the servants notify him." 

Moment's later, Nicholas stepped inside, concern written all over his face.

"Luke!" He sat on the side of the bed. "I was so worried! Are you feeling alright?"

The human once more found that he was unable to speak. Every time he tried, his mind would fog up.

"Luke?"

"..."

Nicholas leaned in closer, gently touching the human's chin to get him to turn his head. He was shocked to see how empty Luke's expression was.

"Luke...Please speak to me." He brushed his thumb against the human's cheek tenderly. "Say something?"

He waited, but the human never responded. Eventually Nicholas summoned a doctor to examine him. Usually Luke would be terrified of having a doctor anywhere near him. Heck, he should be terrified of being around Vampires, period! But instead, it was as though all his emotions had been drained out of his body.