Chapter 11 - Outing

After their uncomfortable chat, Maximillia stepped out and let Archibald drive Luke the rest of the way home. There, the human made sure to ask that the servant continue to park at least a block away so his Master wouldn't become suspicious.

Once that was taken care of, he climbed back up using the neighbor's fence and snuck in through is window. 

After a quick shower, he sat on his bed and waited for his Master to return. Soon he felt the pangs of hunger and regretted skipping dinner with Nicholas. He wondered what was keeping Frederick out so late, and eventually fell asleep sitting by the window. 

By dusk, Frederick was still nowhere to be seen.

Luke didn't know what sort of things his Master did when he ran errands, but he did know that the man had always made sure to be home in time to feed him. This was the first time in years that he hadn't returned in time, which was very concerning since the human had already witnessed two assassination attempts, so he wouldn't be surprised if Frederick had encountered some form of trouble himself.

Pulling out a notebook, he tried to distract himself by jotting down questions to ask Nicholas the next time they met. 

Hours passed, and the questions turned into doodled stick figures as he struggled with his writing skills. His hunger was getting the best of him as well, but knowing that he wouldn't rot away like Vampires usually did made him feel slightly better about the situation at least.

A commotion outside had him cracking the window open so he could see what was going on. He was shocked to find an elaborate carriage parked directly out front. There were two beautiful black stallions pulling the entire thing, with dark red curtains pulled closed over the carriage windows. Surrounding it were his neighbors as they crowded the sidewalks to get a better view. Driving the carriage was Archibald, who stepped down and approached the house.

Luke's heart practically stopped at the public display. It was absurd that this was happening immediately after Maximillia begged him to keep things a secret from Frederick. Not that Luke wasn't already keeping it a secret, but now secrecy was no longer an option. People would definitely be talking about this for a while.

Archibald knocked as the neighbors looked on in awe. When no one answered, he knocked again and waited.

Unfortunately Luke couldn't go down and answer, but he figured it wouldn't hurt to put on his disguise just in case someone spotted him from the window.

After five minutes, the servant returned to the carriage and knocked on the passenger door. That was when Nicholas emerged.

He had on a grey suede cloak  that billowed behind him as he stepped out. Archibald whispered something into the Archduke's ear, causing Nicholas to frown. Then he turned and approached the house.

Luke's neighbors squealed excitedly when they realized who it was.

Instead of knocking on the door, Nicholas stopped a few feet away and called out. "Luke! I know you're home."

Fear and embarrassment washed over the human, causing him to duck down below the window sill and hide his face in his hands. 

What should he say? Should he reply? Wouldn't that be weird since he already  ignored their knocking? Why was the Archduke here anyways? 

Hesitantly, he peeked his head out to see that the Vampire was waiting patiently as his eyes roved over the house, looking for signs of life. Luke eventually reached out and waved.

Nicholas smiled up at him. "Why wouldn't you answer when my servant knocked?"

"My Master isn't home." He explained.