Chapter 19 - The Sewers

There wasn't much conversation during their trip as the two sat in the back of the limo. The tinted windows were darkened to block out the sunlight as they crossed the border into Jubilee, where it took another 10 minutes before they reached the next smog cloud.

Luke watched with fascination as the scenery changed from Victorian architecture, to fields of farmland, to absurdly shaped buildings with large signs and flashing lights. Thanks to the window tint, the world was shaded in greys and whites, but once they made it safely out from under the sunlight, the human was allowed to roll the window down and see how much more vibrant Jubilee was.

This territory was full of lustrous colors, unlike back home where everything was drab and serene. There were ice cream parlors shaped like snowmen, restaurants shaped like bowls, libraries and bookstores shaped like book stacks, and many more odd structures. Off in the distance he could see at least three enormous Ferris wheels accompanied by rollercoasters and towers.

Never in his life had Luke seen anything like it. He had known that each territory had some strange theme based on their Archduke's preference, but so far this had to be the strangest. Since it was daytime, there weren't many people out, but he noticed that the Vampires here were dressed in bright clothes and unnaturally dyed hair. Some wore hats with oversized flowers while others adorned their coats with bells and buttons. 

"Saturnalia Castle isn't too far from here." Nicholas spoke, drawing Luke's attention away from the pedestrians outside. "I've sent word to Archduchess Lindstrom about my visit."

"Why would you do that?" Luke asked, having expected the Vampire to be more discrete. If the local nobles were funding the Market, then the Archduchess was more than likely part of the whole thing and would not be pleased to find out they were poking around.

"Because it's the law. Archdukes are not to visit other territories without sending notification of their arrival. "

"That sounds restrictive."

Nicholas shrugged. "I don't mind. I prefer to stay home anyways. The last time I was invited to another territory, I ended up in the middle of a squabble over land and wound up killing Archduke Thomas Everglade."

"How did you not get in trouble for that?"

"He made a formal challenge and it was approved by the Emperor himself. So we fought, he lost, and I doubled my land."

"And when was that exactly?"

The Vampire scratched his head. "About a hundred years ago? Anyways, most of the other Archdukes started avoiding me after that. I'm pretty sure it's out of fear because before that event, they had all assumed Thomas was the strongest among us."

Luke started to feel bad that he didn't know more about Nicholas. The Vampire had always asked questions about the human when they were together, yet Luke never once thought to ask about the Archduke's personal history.

"Wear this." Nicholas suddenly tossed a bright yellow coat his way. Luke stared at the tacky fabric, which was decorated with black buttons and white trim. "It'll help you fit in." The Vampire explained as he began changing into a blue and purple jacket.

Luke did as he was told, opting to keep his master's top hat to hide the tattoo, and soon they pulled up to the side of a canal. Off to their left loomed a white stone castle with purple roofs and blue polka dots. Some of the spires were decorated to look like candy canes, which looked absolutely awful.

"This might be dangerous." Nicholas warned as he stepped out.

"I know." 

"You can wait here if you want."